the process

22: the process

Then it was Friday

Then it was Friday.

Dinner with Calum was cancelled, only because his parents realized he had left and weren't the happiest. He told me he wished he could stay, but that he didn't need his parents to be on his case. I told him that it was more than okay, and I was actually sort of happy that I wouldn't have to deal with my dad getting to know Calum just yet.

My dad insisted that Calum try to come over another time, and Calum promised that he would, if he was welcomed. For some reason, my dad was very adamant about Calum coming for dinner. I was only slightly nervous that he had already figured us out, but decided to push the thought out of my head and take a deep breath. How could he possibly know?

With one less mouth to feed, my dad took no time at all to prepare dinner, and my dad, Sam, and myself sat down to eat. Sam and I said nothing to each other, but instead listened to what my dad had to say about his trip, and got him caught up on our lives. I was scared Sam might say something about Calum, but knew that I was paranoid for even thinking she'd do something like that; she wasn't mad at me, or so she said, and I know her better than to out me to my dad about something so minuscule.

Calum was just a boy, after all. My dad was aware that I liked boys.

After dinner, Sam decided she would go home to sleep in her own bed, and although we didn't have time to talk, she promised me that she would pick me up in the morning if I didn't feel too sick for school. I thanked her and she sent me a sad smile before giving me a hug and leaving.

I knew she wasn't mad at me, but I knew we would have to talk before things between us would seem good.

Calum tried to keep me up all night texting, but I told him I had to go to sleep so I could feel better. He eventually gave in and let me go to sleep, telling me he hoped he would see me the next day.

"Good morning, kiddo! How are you feeling?" As I walked into the kitchen, I jumped in surprise at my dad's voice. I breathed in deeply to collect myself and walked to the refrigerator. I had almost forgotten he had come home.

"I feel... okay," I told him, shrugging my shoulders as I opened the door to the fridge.

"I made you an omelet," Dad said, causing my head to whip around and toward him. "Figured you'd be hungry... you didn't eat much at dinner last night, so—"

"Thank you," I told him, shutting the door to the fridge after grabbing the orange juice. I placed the orange juice on the counter and walked up to my dad, wrapping my arms around him. I hoped he'd give me a tight hug, and possibly never let me go. My dad laughed breathily as he hugged me back, squeezing me tight.

"Are you okay?" Dad asked, knowing something was up. "You've been quiet since I got here... which is fine, I guess. I was just expecting you to talk my ear off or something."