Deafening Silence

For the first time since her mother had become the Dean, Jennie let herself into the mansion. Closing the heavy oak door behind her she was immediately hit with the sound of music. It was just like her mother to have live music playing. For ambiance darling. She could practically hear her mother and see the obnoxious hand gesture she would make at the comment.

And for once, Jennie was actually grateful for her mothers over the top, showy tendencies.

The soft and calming sounds of violin and cello filled the empty spaces of the house, like background music in a cinematic love scene. The music wasn't the main focus, but still, it guides your emotions. Had there been no music, or a different arrangement, this movie scene could be playing out differently.

Horror. Young girl enters old home rumored to be haunted to attend a party to save her love. But will she be able to save her in time? or will she too, face a grim fate?

Action. Heroic woman fights against her own blood to save the girl she loves. but will she be strong enough to stand up to the enemy that is also her family?

Fantasy. The brave hero faces her fears, hoping to prove her love as she faces the monster she's lived her life afraid of.

All scenarios were much too dramatic to be realistic, though. She was simply attending a dinner being held by the dean because the girl she was sort of dating had asked her to. With the unfortunate coincidence that the dean happened to also be her mother.

And, saving her from a monster? Jennie realized standing in the foyer of the home that, this was a situation she could have avoided had she only been honest with Jisoo in the first place. It was her who had been the monster. A hard exterior, hurting those around her in an effort to protect herself. But then again, love makes monsters of us all.

She let her coat fall from bare shoulders and placed it on the rack near the door. There was the sound of dishes clanking and muffled voices carrying through corridors of the large mansion as Jennie made her way towards the dining room. It was to the left of the main entrance, a smaller dining area, the same one they had used for thanksgiving.

Jennie made her way through the empty room, her hand brushing along the velvet cloth on the chairs pushed in under the long dining table. She walked to the opposite wall from where she had entered and stood in front of the door, taking a breath.

Clattering of dishes and glasses, food being put on plates and pulled from ovens. Jennie pushed the door open and strode into the kitchen carefully. It was her ritual. It had started when she was young— Dinner parties for her mothers friends, colleagues, bosses, whatever it was. Chaerin always wanted to make a good impression and paid good money for the best food and drinks she could get.

As a little girl, Jennie would sneak into the kitchen and hide under a counter. She was good at going unnoticed and would steal cookies, pieces of chocolate and any other treat she could find while hiding from her mother. When she got older it changed from hiding under the counter and stealing food, to making friends with the staff. She avoided her mother, knowing she would never enter the kitchen, while the serving staff snuck her wine or champagne and the best pieces of cake.

She took slow steps through the kitchen, the staff ignoring her and moving about as if she wasn't there. She grabbed a handful of chocolate chips from a bowl on the counter and tossed one in her mouth. As she made her way to the door on the other side of the room, the one that led into the formal dining room, she knew it was different this time. No more hiding away in the kitchen.

"Stealing chocolate again, are we?"

Jennie smiled, her hand on the door, and turned around. "Well if it isn't my favorite chef."