CHAPTER 48: Misplaced Emotions

VANESSA

I excused myself and picked up the call. I hesitantly said, "Hi!"

If hoped he hadn't heard about the poster yet. He was already insecure about me and Adrian and the last thing I needed right now was a rejection from Blake.

"Hey. I'll be reaching in half an hour."

I sighed with relief and smiled, "Great. I'm almost ready."

"See you then. Bye.", I heard a happy voice at the other end.

I nodded, not realising that he couldn't see me and then hung up. I looked back at the employee whose name was apparently Jared and then asked him," So. Let's get this done with quickly. I have somewhere to be."

I analysed the poster again. It was beautiful but a little too intimate to be shared with the whole world, considering that Eccentric's issue featuring the Global Meet was the most popular magazine of the year.

I was facing Adrian, my one hand was in his and the other one was on his shoulder. His other and was tightly wrapped around my waist. Are faces weren't too close but definitely the space between us was lesser than what a professional dance would permit and the look on our faces...gosh. We were looking at each other so intently, anyone could tell there was some kind of tension between us. Though it was because we had been squabbling, most would interpret this tension as something else, given Adrian's reputation with girls.

"This picture has been released online?", Adrian asked.

"No, sir. But it will be, first thing tomorrow morning.", Jared said.

Adrian nodded, contemplating something and then stated, "Tell Mrs. Sokolov to get a different picture. This isn't going up."

"Sir. Are you certain? This has never happened before."

"Just because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean that it can't happen now. Does it?"

"Uh...I will talk to Mrs. Sokolov and see wh..."

"What's wrong with the picture?", I asked.

"I think you know perfectly well, what's wrong.", Adrian retorted.

"The picture is not going down.", I ordered.

"Well. Your date with your dear Blake will, if this is printed."

"So? If I want to be a queen, I don't need a king. What I do need is an empire. This cover is my key to one. No way in hell am I giving this up for a relationship."

"Jacob wasn't wrong about you, you know.", He sneered.

"Good for him, that his dating Jennifer. And as far as priorities go, my career didn't hook up with my sister, he did.", I miffed.

"Excuse me ma'am.", Jared asked hesitantly, drawing our attention away from our banter.

"Sorry.", I apologised, "This stays and keep us updated."

"Yes Ma'am.", He nodded.

"Do as you please.", Adrian said, visibly pissed off and then left for the office room.

Charlotte whispered from behind me, "Is there something going on between the two of you?"

"What? No. No. Of course not. I am dating Blake. Why would I have something going on with Adrian?", I asked, not sure which one of us, I was trying to convince.

"Well excuse me. I need to go get ready.", I said and then left for my room. I quickly did my hair and put my stilletos on. I didn't know why I always decided not to but ended up wearing them anyway. I confirmed that I looked pretty enough in the mirror and then, picking up my phone, I went downstairs.