Chapter 29

C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y - N I N E

Kelsey's P.O.V. (continued)

I kept my eyes on the road, remaining in complete silence as I drove to school.

My mind was lost in thought, hoping that Amelia didn't know anything about Zach's story. He trusts me, and I let him down by telling one person while asking for help. I gripped the steering wheel as tightly as I could as I entered the school parking lot, pulling into the nearest parking space.

I grabbed my backpack from the passenger seat and exited the vehicle, making my way towards the entrance of the school.

Pushing a few strands of hair away from my face, I felt a few chills run down my spine both from nervousness and the chilly weather outside. Upon opening the front doors, I kept my gaze to myself, not wanting to be noticed.

It didn't take long for a group of four girls I didn't even know to approach me. They all looked familiar, but maybe they were some of Amelia's friends, I don't know. They all looked at me in the eyes, and I returned their stare, a little confused.

"Is it true that your boyfriend's a foster kid?" one of them asked, and I completely stopped in my tracks. I was in complete terror.

How'd they even know..?

I pushed past them, my stride growing larger and larger with each step. I can only think of one person who would've leaked Zach's only secret.

Amelia.

Sure enough, at almost every corner, I heard more whispers and rumors about the same subject and I tried to block it out. Guilt rose in my chest as I rushed towards my locker.

I needed to find Amelia.

I stuffed my backpack into my locker and walked down the halls, attempting to block out all the rumors and talk throughout them. I kept my hands folded across my chest, trying to look as small as possible. It turned out that Amelia was right around the corner and I almost slammed into her.

"What'd you do?" I questioned her with hostility, clenching my jaw together in an attempt to not yell in frustration.

Amelia snapped her head around, a devious smirk growing across her face. "I was only sharing news," she replied. "No harm done."

"No harm done?" I nearly shouted in rage. "You just ruined everything!"

"How?" she asked, sweetness dripping off her lips. "I was only telling my friends about something I heard from my mom, who heard from your mom, who heard from you. Some secret keeper you are."

I clenched my fists, realizing she's right.

It is my fault.

It's all my fault..

"You don't have to go around telling everyone about this..," I pleaded, really upset and disappointed in myself.

"Too late," replied Amelia with a fake, yet genuine smile plastered on her face. "You already told."

Without even thinking, I shoved Amelia away and kept on walking, hearing her voice behind me:

"Wow, a bully and untrustworthy. Some girlfriend you are."

I blocked everything out, wanting to avoid Zach as much as possible.

He's probably going to be furious at me, and I don't want to hear it. I felt my eyes begin to water but I held the tears back, not wanting to draw even more attention to myself.