Him

Pain. That was the most common thing your soulmate had you feeling- though, it was usually at ungodly hours of the night. You wondered what he could possibly be doing to have you waking up at three in the morning, fighting back a scream. Was he some sort of thug? Did he get into fights at three in the morning just because? Some nights were worse than others- and just a few weeks ago, it felt like you were being crushed by something. It terrified you because it felt like your soulmate was going to die- but then the crushing feeling stopped. You thought that'd be the end of it- but then it felt like you were falling and then crashing to the ground. You must've screamed all night that night.

After that, you didn't feel anything for a while, and you were scared that you'd lost your soulmate before you even got the chance to meet him. Did that kind of thing even happen? Was it even heard of?

You didn't know, but you didn't have to. Not too long after that god-awful night, he was back at it. Less severe, thankfully, but still rather painful. It was annoying, really. Especially since he started getting hurt during the day too. You'd have to fight back gasps and hisses in the middle of your classes. You had half a mind to hurt yourself, just to get back at him but you were already in enough pain as it was. Surely he was too.

You wondered why you couldn't just have a counter or that stupid string- just something other than this. You were tired of having to cover up cuts and bruises, tired of waking up to some god-awful pain and fighting back screams randomly. Why was your soulmate so fucking careless? Did he not know he was hurting his soulmate? That he was making you look crazy? Most people didn't believe that your soulmate caused you so much pain and discomfort. They'd say you just wanted attention- that you enjoyed rubbing it in that you were different from everyone else. That wasn't the case, but no one knew that but you.

It was frustrating.

"Fucking sick and tired of my goddamned soulmate- who does he think he is? Ugh.", you grumbled under your breath, stomping out of your schools big double doors.

You'd been in [insert after school activity here] and suddenly you were screaming. It felt like your ribs were being slammed into something and the pain was unbearable. It left you breathless and a little shaky on the ground. Everyone had stared at you like you were insane. They'd even stopped working early just to be away from you. Your outbursts were getting worse and you were pissed. What the fuck was he doing?

You grumbled and cursed under your breath, angrily making your way off school grounds, mind set on going to your favorite nearby café. Maybe, just maybe, you'd burn your tongue on your coffee on purpose. Maybe you'd slam yourself into the door or ram your elbow into the counter- something, anything! He deserved to know what it felt like!

Still grumbling and pouting, you made your way to the café, ordering a nice hot cup of joe and downing at fraction of it the second you got it. Not your best idea considering it hurt like a bitch, but you were fine with that since you knew your soulmate would feel it too.

'Take that, asshole.', you thought to yourself.

When nothing came afterwards, you smirked to yourself. Maybe he got the message. You allowed yourself to properly enjoy your drink once it cooled off a bit, though your tongue was kind of numb for the moment. It was unfortunate, you'd bought yourself a delicious looking cinnamon roll and you could barely taste it. Still, it seemed worth it if your soulmate got a taste of his own medicine. Literally.

You enjoyed the blissful, pain-free feeling while it lasted. Around this time, your soulmate was usually getting hurt. It wasn't something you could pinpoint, however. Sometimes he started up right as school let out, sometimes nothing would happen until night- and other times he'd be getting hurt at the most random times during the school day. There was rarely ever a day that went by without him getting hurt, and you could still recall when it all began. It was just last year when you'd gotten the first big sign of pain from your soulmate. It was the smallest little bite on your hand- it swelled pretty badly, but then it soon went away. Since then- the pain never really stopped. Sure, you should be glad to know your soulmate is out there, alive and breathing, but dammit why couldn't he get hurt normally? Why couldn't he stub his toe once in awhile instead of being slammed into walls or crushed by unknown objects?

You didn't know- and maybe you never would. It wasn't easy to find your soulmate when this was your only tie to him. He could be anywhere in New York- hell, he might not even be in New York. There was no way of knowing- and maybe that was half of why you were so angry when it came to him. You could feel his pain- he could feel yours, but it wouldn't help in finding each other. Especially since you had to cover up all the injuries that appeared on your skin because of him. You couldn't go out looking like you'd been in a cage fight! Although.. they did seem to fade away quickly now that you-

Your breath hitched and you nearly choked on your coffee when it felt like you'd just been sucker punched in the gut. You knew for sure this pain wasn't yours, you weren't due for that cramping nightmare that was your monthly until next month.

Shit- he was doing something again, meaning you had to go hide out somewhere until he was done. You could already feel what pain was to come next looming over you.

'You can't give me one night, can you? You asshole..', you hissed to yourself, hopping out of your seat and dashing out of the café. You shoved past people and ducked into the nearest alleyway, crouching down and holding yourself best you could. 'Just stay quiet, just stay quiet- please..', you chanted to yourself, biting the inside of your cheek as you fought back your cries of pain.

So far so good- nothing-

You let out a shrill cry of pain, feeling something slam into your leg and you swore it felt like it had to have broken in two if it wasn't at the very least fractured. People walking by had jumped at the sound you made and you held yourself tighter, trying to make your body smaller so you'd go unseen. The pain still had you shaking- but nothing was added to it. Was he okay- had he actually really hurt-

"You called?", an unfamiliar voice asked- though it sounded like they were having trouble speaking.

Regardless, the voice made you jump- fuck, you'd been heard?, "Huh?"

"Was that you who screamed? Was someone trying to attack you?", the voice asked, making you look up. You were surprised to see that it was Queens hero speaking to you. Spider-Man, right? Or was it boy?

"Uh- yeah. I just- my soulmates uh- he's stupid and uhm- I don't need help. I'm- I'm good.", you reassured as you shakily stood up, mentally cursing your soulmate for embarrassing you for the second time today.

"Oh- you have that kinda tie too? I mean- you sure you're not hurt?", he quickly changed the subject, realizing that talking about soulmates was not that important right now. He moved closer to you, limping slightly on one of his legs, head titling as he looked you over.

"I'm sure- are you okay though? Your voice- kinda sounds funny.."

He chuckled nervously, "Yeah. I'm fine. My soulmates dumb too- guess she uh burned her tongue or whatever.. look if you're okay I really have to go because.."

His voice flew from your mind as you took in what he just said. Burned her tongue? There was no fucking way- well.. it might make sense- plus he had that limp in the same leg that was currently aching on you. There was only one way to test it though, and it was going to hurt.

Without warning, you balled your hand into a fist, reared it back and punched the brick wall nearest to you as hard as you could. You bit your tongue hard to stop yourself from screaming. Your knuckles cracked against the hard bricks- and you were sure you broke one of them.

"Ow! What the hell- why would you- oh gross it feels like there's blood in my..in my mouth- and my hand really.. oh my god..", he gasped out, now realizing what this meant.

Your soulmate was Spider-Man..