Answers

Holy fuck- Spider-Man, Queens hero- was your soulmate? Your soulmate, was in New York, right here- standing right in front of your face? This was him- this was the person you were supposed to spend the rest of your whole life with. Most people your age didn't meet their soulmates- not unless they were incredibly lucky. Hell, one of your closest friend had a timer, and her timer had years and years to go, but you? Your soulmate was standing right here..

"You..", you began, staring at the masked hero before you in shock.

"You-", he replied, but you quickly cut him off, throwing a brown bag with your half eaten cinnamon roll in it, at his face. He caught it easily, "What was that-"

"You asshole!", you hissed, glaring at him, "Do you have any idea what you've put me through? People think I'm completely nuts sometimes! I wake up at three in the damned morning, fighting back screams! God- just last week I felt like I was gonna die! Would it kill you to be more careful?!"

He seemed shocked, but you couldn't tell with that mask on his face, "What you've been through? I'm out here saving lives- I can't help that sometimes people land some good hits! Plus, I didn't even know you existed up until like five minutes ago! I've grown up thinking I didn't have a soulmate! I have no tattoo, no timer, no string- nothing that I can see! I've had people tell me it might be the pain tie but- I never felt anything from you until now! I almost broke my leg by slamming it into a billboard while swinging! All because you decided to burn your tongue with something- and now you punch a wall! My fist is throbbing, what the hell!"

"What? You didn't know I existed?", you asked, exasperated, "How?! I've been getting cramps once a month since I was thirteen! How did you not feel them?! It's not my fault you hit that billboard! Pay more attention and oh, I dunno, be more careful?!"

"I felt them- but I didn't think they were you! They went away so fast! I never got any marks from you- nothing big enough to signal that the pain I was feeling wasn't my own! Maybe if I had, I wouldn't have been purposely getting hurt to see if I'd get a reaction!"

"What if your tie to me wasn't pain? What if it was emotions? You'd be hurting yourself for no reason-!"

"I heal fast.", he stated, as if it were no issue, "And my pain tolerance is kinda high."

"Well mine isn't! People think I'm crazy! My parents think I'm exaggerating because surely my soulmate wouldn't be out breaking his fucking bones at three in the fucking morning!", you were shouting now. People often had such beautiful stories to tell of how they met their soulmates. Some even had silly ones to tell- and yet, yours would be this. Your first meeting with your soulmate was an argument- and it was an easy one because you couldn't see his face. You couldn't see the features of him that were made just for you- couldn't fall for whatever color his eyes might be or the facial expressions he made.

"How is that my fault! Like I said, I didn't know you existed-"

"Everyone has a soulmate you idiot!"

"Not everyone!", he shouted too now, "I've seen some people have no tie to anyone! I live near some people who were born with nothing- just like I was! I thought I was one of those unlucky people, okay?! I-I figured that.. if- if I hurt myself enough- maybe- maybe I'd get a response- and I did. You have no idea what it felt like to grow up thinking I was going to be alone for the rest of my life- or end up with someone who didn't really love me. I got to watch everyone around me be excited over their tattoos, constantly checking on their timers or gushing about how they were glad to have the easiest tie to their soulmates. I've been jealous of my best friend for years because he has a red string! A red string that, if he follows, will lead him to his everything! I thought I was alone!"

His sudden confession shocked you. You didn't know that there were some people without ties to a soulmate meant for them. You didn't know you'd been hurting your soulmate like this, and so you were speechless.

"I was so happy to have felt something- even if my tongue feels funny now. I've always wondered what it might be like to meet my soulmate if I had one- I just never imagined this.."

You made a face, hating that you felt so guilty. This wasn't really your fault, was it? How could you have known your soulmate wasn't getting the pain you felt monthly? How could you have any idea that you had to do something drastic for him to know you existed and that your tie to each other would forever be pain? God- this was insane. Your soulmate was a super-hero. You didn't know super-heroes had soulmates that were regular people. It never crossed your mind that Iron-Man might be forever bound to a regular woman- or that Captain America or even Hulk, would be tied to a regular every day person. How did the universe think that'd work? Especially with a tie like feeling each other's pain?

You shook your head, "I just- I need to go home. I can't even wrap my head around this- fucking hell.."

"I can take you-"

"No. I need to- I can't- holy shit you're my soulmate- you of all people.. I need to go alone. I can't.."

"Me of all people? What the hell is that supposed to mean?", he asked, clearly offended.

"It means you're a super-hero and I'm just- I'm me! I'm a regular person! How did the world think this would work? How did it think this was fair?! My soulmate is going to be risking his life daily and I- I'm gonna have to just sit back and- and hope and- oh my god- I didn't even think of that- what if I were to lose you? I'd have to feel you die- god- I can't. I don't- I cannot deal with that- could you? Can you honestly tell me you'd be okay with feeling me die- feeling all my pain fade off and be left with nothing for the rest of your life?"

He remained silent, taking in your words. Could he live with that? He wasn't so sure- he didn't even know how May was dealing right now. Her tattoo was now a puffy scar on her wrist. Ben's name was forever scarred on her wrist- a constant reminder of his absence. He already knew what it felt like to be alone- surely now that would feel so-

"I thought so. Look- I know who you are now and- well- I'll scream if I need to find you just- fuck please- please for the love of everything, be more careful. You're killing me dude.", you said, grabbing your bag and pushing past him.

He stood there, shocked into silence. He'd just met you- he'd gotten his first look at who should be in his life for the rest of his days. He'd seen you- and now he had to lose you? What bullshit- hey wait..

A piece of paper fell out your bag. It lay on the ground at his feet- it was graded homework.

[Y/n] [L/n] was scrawled in the top right corner along with the date and class period- you went to his school? You two even shared the class this homework was for! This whole time..

This entire time- you sat right in front of him, and he never even knew?!