Chapter 77: The Truth Untold Cont.

Chapter 77: The Truth Untold Continued

*Jackson's P.O.V*

"I'm not your enemy son," Jeff sighed. " Don't look at me like that"

  Ever since I was little there's been three stages of my anger. Level one is internal —solely based on my emotions. Level two is where everyone can see the dark side within me and level three is where it gets physical. Nothing helps; not counting, not closing my eyes but one day Ashley managed to pull me out of it. I still don't know how. When I'm at level three I only listen to one voice, my Boss's voice. At that level I can't trust myself because I make rash decisions. However I think there's another voice that I—

  " Save your anger for the battlefield like I taught you. We don't have much time."  Jeff urges.

       Everyone remained quiet so he continues.

      " Me and Susan had been trying to have a baby for years — I even considered to have one of my pleasers bear my child but I loved Susan too much. When she announced she was pregnant I was so certain it would be a boy that I bought a lot of male clothing. We didn't check the gender because I 'knew' it was a boy. When Ashley was born...man was I surprised," He paused to take a sip of water. "I guess I must've looked too devastated because her birth ruined our marriage"

   I looked around the table, everyone had the same thought as me I know. 

   Poor Ashley.

    " Don't get me wrong," Jeff continued. " I loved her with all my heart and still do but Susan was heartbroken by my disappointment. We made a deal before Ashley was born that if it was a girl we'd keep trying but Susan wouldn't even look at me afterward."

    "One day," Jeff smiled sadly. " I was having one of the many heated discussions you have to look forward to Jackson. I'm almost certain it was another Mafia leader but I believe Ashley thinks it's her grandfather. She came into my office...she was so young and she just wanted to play with her dad. She accidentally broke something and I snapped at her the look she gave me was just like the look her mother constantly gives me. I couldn't take it. Them hating me became the perfect opportunity for me to fully immerse myself as a Mafia Boss. It was my chance to leave —end the marriage for good. Since I wouldn't get a son I'd have to create one. I knew that the other Mafia leaders would be upset if they found out my only child is a girl."

         "Yeah we all know the story about Rosella —women are too gentle, too kind to rule a famiglia so large," Marco interjects. " If the others found out you only have a daughter with no plans for a son they would—"

    " Deem your bloodline weak and try to rule that community" I ball my fists.

      " Jackson some people won't respect you because you aren't truly my son but you can make them," Jeff adds. " I told you Ashley's story so you can tell her what I was too scared to say and because it connects to your own story. What do you remember of your parents?"

    Everyone looks at me. " Um, they were kind, sweet—"

     "Where did they die?" He pushes.

     " Uh—" 

 "Was it here? or was it in Italy?" He urges.

  " I don't..." My mind buzzes.

   " How did they die?" He asks.

   " A sniper. Someone—"

  " Have you ever wondered why your name isn't italian?"