Chapter 5: Deals and Candies

Another weird edit by le me - you can tell Michelangelo isn't proud. 

___________________________

The shop was suffused with a smell of caramel tea.

At the counter was an old man, not the kind you'd pity for their old bones and feeble limbs, but the kind who mirrored history through their scars and wrinkles. In his little boutique, oil lamps and candles provided the necessary warmth to envelop the shop like a comfy blanket. With a cup of hot tea on the counter, the shop was glistening warmly, but welcomingly for any visitors who'd like to acquisition the shopkeeper's old junk.

His button-eye traveled to the shelves of junk that he was selling. He was satisfied with the newly stocked 'Dark Candy' that he arranged. But there were other objects of delight claiming his instant attention; there were colorful potions, vintage cards, handmade dolls and much more to please the eye.

A sudden chime of bells tinkled incessantly as a signal to the shopkeeper that someone has sauntered in. Once the old man turned, he was startled to meet someone unknown:

A (your-height) silhouette waltzed in, their movements and stance were almost menacing, putting the old shopkeeper at a vigilance. He saw something very wrong. He sensed an ambiance of a disturbing past as if that persona was a beast disguised with humanistic features, covering burdens of a conscience they don't need. But he knew better than to voice it.

*It was you.

"...Welcome traveler." - the man spoke to you in his rusty cheerful tone, his cat ears perked up. "I don't recall seeing you before, how can I help you?"

Glancing at you, he saw your sharp expression hid behind the blundering mask of conflict and dire - "Sir, I need to know, have you seen three teens passing by? A strong girl, a quiet boy and one with a wizard hat?"

He hummed for a minute before shooting a smile - "Oh, you must be talking about those "Delta Heroes", aren't you?"

"Yes, Them!"

"Hmmm... maybe I did, maybe not."

"In mercy's name, have you seen them?" - You worried. The old Shopkeeper noticed the tightness of your jaws and shoulders reflecting your anxiety. Your own belly has become tight and your usual smile is afraid to decorate your face.

"They've been here hours ago, but I haven't seen them ever since... they must've headed to the west."

"Really? Thank goodness, thank you, Sir... if by any chance you'll see them again, could you please warn them that I've been searching for them?"

His eyes were so heavily lidded and weighed down with wrinkled folds that it was almost like talking to someone asleep, yet he was quite alert. "I could do that... yes, I could. But don't you mind telling me who you might be?"

"Um, I'm sorry for bargaining in here out of the blue... uh, I'm (Y/n)(L/n). I've been accompanying the three of them, but unfortunately, the guards caught me and-"

"Oh, it's you! Hehe, You're the Grand Guardian of those young Lighteners that everyone has been talking about." - chortled the old man before closing his eyes in somber "Though, my apologies, I didn't recognize you at first... I didn't understand what kind of monster you were."

You froze.

___________________________

"Curious. I've never seen a plant... cry before." memories rejoined as you saw the kind king slowly turning around to face you "Howdy! Erm...What kind of monster are you? Sorry, I cannot tell."