➵ VIII. Riley

Wednesday, December 20th, 2017, 7:15am

Rei's POV

I glance at Zaine again.

I feel a smile forming on my lips, and quickly try to force it down. I look down, focusing on my bowl of cereal as my body shakes with suppressed laughter.

It has nothing to do with Zaine's appearance, or what he's doing. No, it's just that looking at him keeps reminding me of the bizarre dream I had last night.

We're sitting at the table having breakfast, and I'm trying to not burst out laughing.

"What is it, Reina?" Clove asks, smiling. "Why do you keep laughing when you look at Changeling?"

Her words use me to glance at Zaine again, and I have to suppress another grin, quickly looking away again. I can feel everyone looking at me as I try to calm myself.

"Nothing, just this dream I had," I reply.

"What was it about?" Killian asks. "Clearly it has something to do with my boyfriend."

"Tell us!" Rhea says.

"Yeah, tell us!" Zaine pipes up. "It was about me, I wanna know."

Another round of suppressed laughter hits me and take a few deep breaths.

"I don't remember everything about it," I begin, "but we were in some sort of basement, full of dust covered furniture, couches, chairs and that. And for some reason, there was this baby pig we had been told to take care of."

"Baby pig?" Clove questions.

I nod. "It gets better. Strange, you were asking me how we were gonna raise it, and then Flash, you come up and suggests this spell you found in an old magic book. We didn't even know what the spell was, but we cast it, and the pig disappeared. And we find that the spell caused Changeling to become pregnant, with the flipping pig."

I can't contain my laughter anymore. It escapes past my lips as I grin, watching the others laugh too.

"That's even it yet," I say. "Once we found out, Flash was acting all proud and excited, something about him wanting to be a dad. So the sentence 'Changeling's pregnant with a baby pig' has been circling my mind all morning, along with the image of him with a big stomach."

(A/N This is a true story, I actually dreamed this, that Zaine somehow got pregnant with a pig, and I was thinking that sentence over and over. I was suppressing a smile during the national anthem at school, making my friend across the room look at me weirdly.)

Everyone is laughing, Zaine laughing the hardest.

"Oh my Satan, that is gold," he laughs, gasping. "Pregnant with a pig... A flipping pig."

He rests his forehead on the table, looking down, his body shaking with laughter. A while later, he looks up again, grinning. His eyes glow and his nose changes to look like a pigs. It reminds me of that scene of Tonks doing the same in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Chase and Rhea giggle, watching Zaine. Killian puts one arm around Zaine's shoulders, chuckling. Clove is chortling beside me, grinning.

"What goes on inside your head, Reina?" she asks.

I shrug. "Thinking. Planning rogue attacks. Oh, by the way, the attack on the orphanage last night was a success. The abusive caretakers are gone, and all the orphans have chosen groups to join and, it seems like they're happy and doing well."

Clove nods. "That's good. I'll never understand why people choose to hurt kids. It's just not right, I mean, they're kids. Humans seem to fret more over an animal hurting someone once, but what about the people who're abused or bullied daily?"