Chapter 43

"He's here," Jake mumbled, his annoyance with the presence of a vampire obvious in his tone.

"I know," I said, standing up from the couch and heading to the door. As I headed out to the door, I was thankful that I had insisted on putting on some running pants and a PINK quarter-zip. I looked much more presentable than I had in my pajamas.

"Hello Carlisle," I said, opening the door. He had brought Jasper, who seemed tense about being here.

"Hello Alessandra," he said. I moved out of the way to allow them into the house.

"We can head into the living room if you want," I said, tucking the loose strands of my hair behind my ear.

"That will certainly suffice," he said. I led the way into the living room, hitting some lights for my own sake as I walked in. Jake turned the TV off as we all took seats around the living room.

"How're you feeling?" Carlisle asked.

"I'm not shook up anymore if that's what you mean," I said.

"Well, it's a start," he said, smiling at me gently.

"Are you anxious?" He asked.

"Not really," I said. "More concerned about the families of the kids who died."

"What do you have to be guilty of?" Jasper asked, keeping his tone polite yet inquisitive.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked.

"Jasper can feel other people's emotions," Carlisle said.

"Oh," I said softly. "I just feel like maybe if I had been nicer to him or something then none of this would've happened."

"It's not your fault Alessandra," Carlisle said.

"I know that it isn't my fault, but I still feel bad about it," I said. "I'm working on it though."

"We're working on it," Jake said, almost reflexively. "I'm helping her through this however I can."

"Everything together," I said softly, smiling at Jake as I glanced at him. He returned the smile causing my eyes to light up.

"Alessandra, the next few months are going to be difficult. It's just the way that these types of things work. The most important thing though, is that you don't bottle everything up. Let yourself feel whatever emotions you think need felt," Carlisle said as he stood up.

"Thank you," I said, standing up as well. I shook his hand before thanking Jasper and shaking his hand as well. Jake stood up and thanked them both and shook both of their hands as well. I showed them out, thankful that Jake's tension had relaxed as their car pulled away from the house.

"Glad that's over with," I said, cuddling into Jake's chest. We laid down on the couch together as Jake started the movie back up.

"I should've gotten up and shut the lights off," I said.

"I've got it," he said. I sat up, letting him go turn the lights off. I grabbed my phone, checking to see if Hadley had answered my texts, but she hadn't. She was probably spending time with her grandma.

"So what are you and Hadley doing?" Jake asked.

"Um, nothing," I said.

"We can go down to the rez tonight. It's a Friday so we'll probably have a pack bonfire or something," Jake said.

"That sounds great," I said. I sent Dad a quick text to let him know of our plans. He was just thankful that I was going out to do something, but the fact that I was going to be with Jake and Seth made it that much easier for him to agree.