Concussion imagine pt 1

Ellie's POV

What's worse than waiting in the waiting room is waiting inside the doctor's office. I get anxiety from waiting to be poked and prodded.
My thoughts are interrupted as my young 30 year old doctor walks in.

"Hi, my name's Dr. Thomas. Nice to meet you Ellie. So what's the problem today?"

"Hi. Um I was playing basketball in gym yesterday and it hit my nose and forehead. I felt a little dizzy but I continued playing. I have a really bad headache now and nausea. I'm not sure if it's a concussion" I say as I fiddle with my fingers

Dr. Thomas approached me with a flashlight in his hand.

"Okay, I'm just going to look into your eyes. Look straight ahead" I did as he asked and he moved the flashlight across my eyes to check for a pupillary reaction.

"Open your mouth and move your tongue from side to side. Good. Touch my finger and your nose as fast as you can"

This motion was harder for me to follow as he moved his finger pretty fast.

"That makes me dizzy" I commented softly.

"Based on what you've told me and from this exam, it does look like you have a concussion. Since it's Friday, rest over the weekend, get an extension on some assignments, and you should be good to go on Monday. I'm going to clear you from gym for a little while. You don't need to come back in. This should go away"

"Sounds good but I can't really take an extension on assignments. I have so much to do" I said holding my head

"Actually, come back in on Tuesday and we'll see what to do from there"

I nodded my head in response and grabbed the note he had written for me.

"Feel better Ellie" Dr. Thomas said as he left the exam room.

All I've been doing since Friday is resting! And I'm so tired of it! I just want to be able to do my work!! I'm going to school on Monday and then that stupid appointment on Tuesday. I think I'm going to lie and say it's all better. I mean it's Junior year, I don't have any time to waste

Monday morning...

"Call me if you don't feel well" my dad said as I got out of the car.

"Kay. Thanks for the ride!"

As I make my way inside the school, I realize that I don't feel well. My head was starting to hurt, I was dizzy, nauseous, and wanted to go home.

I sat in my physics class starting at a paper full of a bunch of sentences that I could previously analyze, but now, I couldn't process anything on it.

"Do you need to go to the nurse?" My physics teacher asked me.

"Actually yeah, I don't think I can handle this" I pack my stuff up and go down to the nurses office.

"Can my dad pick me up? I don't feel well"

"Sure hun. Go rest"

Tuesday morning

I'm back in the doctor's office and waiting to be seen by Dr. Thomas. I actually like him since he takes things slow, doesn't treat me like I'm 5, and genuinely cares about his patients.

"Hi my name is Cynthia. I'm just going to get you ready for the doctor. Let me take your height and weight and then I'll call him in" the nurse proceeded to check my vitals and then left the room. I was swinging my legs back and forth out of boredom and was so frustrated and upset.

"Hey Ellie. Still not feeling well?" Dr. Thomas asked as he entered the room and saw tears flowing down my cheeks.

I shake my head no and proceed to look at the ground.