12. Play

Aileene stared at her reflection in the mirror with a sense of idiocracy, it had been a day since her family arrived at Kinlar and was reunited with her aunt, uncle, and cousin. And her long-awaited birthday had finally arrived, coincidentally it was the same day as the Kinlar traditional Light Festival. So appropriately her parents had decided for the whole family to attend a play, she was told that it was famous throughout the country for its production value and the historical background it provides. There wasn't going to be any play alike to this anywhere else in the country.

This meant that tickets were rare, expensive and way too exclusive for any commoner to buy, so the event primarily consisted of high nobility. From time to time, the royal family would attend for face. It seemed this year were one of those that the royal family did attend. Which further escalated the value of the play's ticket. It was a miracle that her uncle even managed to get tickets for two families. But it wasn't difficult to guess that it went with the fortune of being a minister with connections.

Though no matter how much her parents had boasted about the play, Aileene couldn't feel any joy for attending. She was appreciative that they thought for her, but this play seemed to be just like any other high society banquet. And wow, was she happy to attend those parties.

"Aileene, are you ready?" Her mother asked walking into the room. Seeing her behind the vanity mirror, her mother came and stood behind her playing with her short hair. Before grabbing a silver flower hairpin on the table and clipping it into her hair. "Isn't my baby just so beautiful now?"

"You're making fun of me." Aileene blushed playfully staring at her mother through the mirror. She lifts her hand to her hair, touching the silver flower, feeling the cold metal under her skin. And by that one touch, she could discern its value, afterall it wasn't just silver-coated. It was pure silver with an additional touch of a diamond center. A gift her mother had personally designed to be pair with her gem choker, though this was the first time she had a chance to wear it to an outing.

"No, I'm not." Her mother replied pinching her cheek, a wide smile displayed on her face. After satisfyingly pinching her cheek, her mother grabbed her hand and pull her along to go downstairs. Aileene didn't resist and simply followed along, as she rubbed her cheek to relieve the pain of her mother's pinching.

When they had arrived downstairs and to the entrance of the estate, Aileene could spot the door wide open with two carriages waiting outside. In the front of the estate stood her father and relatives all waiting for her mother and her. Seeing them waiting, she couldn't help but feel a bit guilty.

"The birthday girl is finally here!" Her uncle announced when he saw her walking towards them. Everyone turned to Aileene then, smiling and praising her appearance. She meekly accepted their compliments, still feeling a bit guilty.

"I'm sorry I made everyone wait for so long," Aileene responded with an apologetic smile, as she released her mother's hand.

"We didn't wait long at all, Aileene," Alastair spoke up, coming to his cousin's side and patting her head affectionately. Using his height over her to his advantage. It had been a year since they had seen each other, but they warmed up immediately after chatting for some time the other day. Both had admittedly missed talking to one another.

"Well, we should get going. We wouldn't want to be late now, would we?" Her father said with a gentle tone, breaking the family chatter and reminding them of the play. Her mother walked over to her father and she did too. As the two families split up into two different carriages.

Climbing into the carriage she sat across from her parents, after a moment of silence, the carriage started moving. She simply turned to aimlessly gaze out of the normal window like she normally did when in carriages. Afterall, she didn't have much to do besides waiting and reading would have caused her a headache. So she tried not to read while on carriage rides.

"I'm sure you'll love the play, darling." Her mother suddenly broke the silence after sensing an unwelcoming mood from her. Simply trying to comfort her of whatever feelings she was having. "You won't have to interact with people, just sit and watch."

Aileene turned to her mother with a small smile, nodding. "I'll be sure to ignore everyone." She joked pushing whatever bad feeling she had away. Afterall, she should try to enjoy the show and only talk when necessary.

"Now that's the spirit." Her father answered with a bright smile. Aileene returned the smile with a happy one, before shifting her gaze back to the window. A smile still remaining on her lips.

Either way, if she didn't enjoy the play as much as she had hoped, there was always a Light Festival just outside.

10.) What makes a good story villain?

Answer:
The answer is rather unique, depending on a person's tastes. But I think there is a formula to making a good villain. That would require, a good background, a defining personality, and a connection to readers. Since the most memorable villains are always the ones that you are able to understand and see their perspective or rather their personality is very unique and defining. No one wants a cannon-fodder villain, maybe here and there for smaller characters. But don't make it your main villain.

11.) If you were to write a novel, what genre would you write it in?