1.9

•- Laine Bennett -•

I can't help but laugh at Austin as he stands proudly in front of his snowman. We'd been making our own, and it was safe to say mine was much better.

There was something about the look of accomplishment on his face that made me happy. He was a fantastic architectural designer. I could gather that much from the many floor plans I assume he's made over the years.

But building snowmen was just not his forte.

I carefully bend down to the snow covered ground and gather a ball of snow. My movement were slow, just so he didn't get alarmed and ruin my mischievous plan.

"Austin!" I call, making him fall from his trance as he turns.

Hit.

He swats away the snow I got all over him, his once proud face now one of pure determination to make me pay.

But I was laughing too hard to even realize he was barreling a snowball straight at me.

"Two can play at this game, Laine," he says in a threatening tone.

I shrug my shoulder, a smile plastered on my face, "That's typically how it works."

He smirks, slowly stepping closer and closer.

I back away as much I could before he starts racing towards me.

I let out an inhumane yelp and turn on my foot. I'm not one for athletics. So three steps in I was already tired as all hell. But I push through and keep running around the front yard with Austin chasing me.

I thought I had gotten far enough away to stop and rest but his two strong arms wrapping around my stomach proved otherwise.

I squeal loudly as he spins us both around.

Austin was actually proving to be a fun guy when the work and stress was put aside. I genuinely liked being around him and I was beyond happy that we took on this bet in the first place. If Hannah hadn't shown up that day, I might not even be here right now. I would be at home mourning the loss of my social life but instead I was outside with a man who surprised me entirely.

He puts me back on the ground and I turn in his arms so I was facing him.

"Say you're sorry," he states, to which I childishly shake my head, "Laine Bennett, apologize!"

I stick my tongue out, "No, Sir I will not."

Austin's face falls ever so slightly from the humored look he once wore. It was replaced with an unreadable look that was actually a little frightening, but not in a bad way.

"You are a difficult one," he says after a few moment of silence.

I shrug my shoulders as his hands gently kissed on my hips. "I've been told so, yes."

Austin rolls his eyes before settling on my own.

I wanted to say something. Anything really. But there was no words capable of coming out of my mouth when Austin stares. I felt the need to lean in, but I keep myself from doing so. I'll do whatever it takes to not fall for this man in any sense. Jump out in front of a train? I'm there. Wander to the middle of the woods and only survive off my urine? Count me in.

I found his eyes wandering from my own, just as they had yesterday. That seemed so long ago. Being with Austin made it feel like there was nothing else around you and time was nothing more than something you'd made up yourself.

I was having some conflicting feelings. On one hand, I wanted nothing more than to win this damn deal. But the other was telling me to risk it all just for one good night with Austin Wood.