Chapter Nineteen: Desert Battle

They were outnumbered.

Badly.

Robin stayed back as the others attacked, Elanor on one knee at his side. She had her bow loaded as well, letting an arrow fly and taking an Easterling on foot in the leg. Drawing back to his cheek, Robin let his arrow fly, striking one of the riders in the chest.

He caught sight of the others whirling through battle-- the twins, side by side with their blades out. The Easterlings were on horse though, with the advantage of speed. 

They bore down upon the others and soon, Robin couldn't see any of his companions admist the sheer number of desert men. Cursing, he threw his bow around his shoulders, drawing his sword. Elanor followed, racing forward at his side.

The Easterlings wielded weapons of gleaming spears and jagged, curved blades. He met the slice of a man atop a sandy horse, ripping upward and throwing him off of his steed. Grabbing the horse's saddle, he yanked himself over its back, digging his feet into the steed's side.

Only then did he draw his bow again, turning the horse and firing a clean shot into the forehead of the next closest rider. He could see Legolas now, fighting beside Aragorn. 

The dwarves were lost among the trampling feet, but he swore he could hear Thralor's curses and Gimli's shouts.

Nocking another arrow, Robin shot a man in the shoulder before he could leap at Legolas's back, the elf spinning around catching the man in the chest as he fell forward. Blue eyes snapped to where he rode and the ellon nodded once, turning back in battle with his king.

Urging the steed into the middle of the chaos, Robin swung his blade, taking the head off of a runner. But suddenly, his horse screamed a neigh, toppling to the dirt.

Robin barely managed to rip his feet loose of the saddle, hitting the ground in a roll. It was an Easterling on foot who had taken his horse down-- the man was a giant, with wild brown hair and even wilder eyes.

Mordor.

"Hey, there, big guy," Robin stumbled back, eyeing the man. "You wanna talk about this first?"

But his attacker only roared, swinging his double-edged axe forward. Robin felt the air of the slice, leaping backward and cursing.

"I guess not."

He ducked as the giant swung again, pivoting on his heel and slashing forward. His blade clipped the man's arm, making him roar even louder. It seemed to be the only thing he was capable of, eyes alit with rage.

Robin tried to spin again, repeating the move. But instead, he was met with a cracking blow to the chest, flying back into the dirt.

Red spotted his vision. His breath flew from his lungs.

The sunlight caught on the axe, swinging toward his face, and Robin barely managed to roll, the movement sending pain screaming through his entire body. Clawing himself to his feet, he stumbled forward, gripping his sword tight and whirling back around.

The giant didn't wait, throwing himself forward. This time, Robin was ready, ducking around the attack and slashing sideways.

He felt his blade cut through flesh. Before the giant even had a chance to make a sound, he drove down-- the body of the Easterling jolted.

Then toppled sideways.

It was different than killing a simple orc. Swallowing hard, Robin glared at the body, yanking his blade out.

Desert fighter, bandit, or simple Easterling, he'd just killed a person.

He turned back to the battle.