08

Ruka (3)

It was the next night. The full moon peeked brightly into the cell. I was dreading this night already. I felt sick to my stomach at the thought of controlling Iroh. But I don't have a choice.

"Remember everything Kanto taught you. Concentrate."

I did as Iroh told me. I tried to bend the water inside of him, but I couldn't. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in.

"Ruka." Iroh sighs.

"I know, I know." I said quickly. "Don't be scared. But I can't do this Iroh - not to you."

"Harsh as it may sound, imagine myself being someone else."

Hesitantly I nod, going back into position. I imagined a face I didn't even know. In my head played the day my mother died. I felt sorrow because I never got to say goodbye. I walked into our tent and she was gone. I broke down to the floor as I cried for my mother.

What zones me back in was Iroh trying to keep quiet as he groans in pain. I drop my hands and I watched him cough, trying to catch his breath. I look down at my hands with widened my eyes, shocked at the power I now possessed.

"Again." Iroh's voice was stern while he straightened himself up. I wipe the tears that formed in my eyes. "No."

"Again!"

There's no point in arguing, Ruka. Do it.

I raise my hands and watch in horror as Iroh stood up against his will. His arms moved back, the sound of his bones cracking sent me chills. I drop him and again, Iroh demands another time.

The rest of our night consisted of this. We stopped at the crack of dawn because usually at this time, the guards would be coming in and out to bring food or just to check if the prisoner was still alive.

"Who did you picture me as?" Iroh asked me after he regained some of his strength. I shrugged slowly, "I imagined you being the man who killed my mother in an invasion. Though I never saw his face, it was able to help me focus."

"You're a true master, Ruka." He bowed to me, which I felt guilty for. But I reluctantly thanked him.

"Now that I'm ready, tell me the plan for the Eclipse."

>>>

It was the day of our escape. Iroh and I practiced blood bending just a few more times before and still, I hated every second of it. But today will be the last day I use this power. I hope.

A guard by the name of Ming walked in with a tray of food. She usually was the one who brought us our three meals of the day. Ming was so kind toward us. Iroh trusted her enough to show me in the cell and surprisingly she promised to keep it to herself.

She reminded me of Reign with just a little more touch of care.

"Lunch time General Iroh and Master Ruka."

A few days ago she asked if I was a water bender and Iroh bragged about how I was a 'master.' So now she calls me Master Ruka just for kicks and giggles.

Ming kneels down to slide the tray under the cell. She leans in and whispers, "Ruka, this time I brought you an extra bowl of rice. You're looking healthier every day and I want to make sure it stays that way."

"Thank you, Ming." I take the bowl from the tray and begin to eat. Slowly but surely my appetite was starting to come back. I'm now able to eat a whole bowl of rice during a meal without feeling like I'm going to vomit.

"Your little gestures of kindness have made my days in prison bearable." Iroh frowns, "I think you should take the rest of the day off."

Ming raises her brows, "What?"

"You don't look well. Maybe you should go home and rest."

She softly smiles, "No, I feel fine."

"Trust me. It is better that you are not here this afternoon."

The tone of voice Iroh was using kind of scared me. But we both didn't want Ming to be here during the Eclipse. It would be absolute chaos and who knows what could happen to her.

"You were starting to scare me, Iroh." I tell him as I place my half-empty bowl down onto the floor. He starts to eat his food as he turns over to me. "As long as it worked, which it did."

Side Note: are y'all ready for this invasion??? *puts sunglasses on*