Chapter eight- A Friend

"Mummy?"

   Louisa pulled me out of my trance, where I was deep in thoughts about My Boss.

We were standing by an ice cream van that was in front of the central park.

" Yes pumpkin?" I turned to give our orders of strawberry for her and cookie dough for me.

" Who was that man?"

  Who was that man?, sweetheart how am I going to begin my explanation?

  That man is my boss and the son of my former boss.

  That man was my bully back in high school and the reason my parents quit their jobs.

  That man was the guy who raped me and diminished my self esteem till I had nothing and I mean nothing left to hold on to.

  Most of all that man is your father.

  That egotistical, narcissistic, wicked, heartless, mean, wretched, evil, deranged thing,

Is your father.

" Don't worry about him baby, he's just my boss"  I paid for our sugary snack and handed hers over to her.

" Are you scared of him?" She almost whispered this question, but that didn't prevent the shock that spread on my face.

Was I still scared of him? After all these years, running from him and his attacks; I thought I had overcome my fear of him, but I haven't. I just started to live normal again.

But I am still scared of him. And she noticed.

" No baby, I'm not why would you ask that?" I crouched down to her level to look her directly in the eye.

" I don't know, the way he behaved and you- you didn't say anything " Her eyes were avoiding mine and I know exactly why.

After Hunter ordered me to move and I stepped away, she felt I had abandoned her to him, that I wouldn't fight for her.

" Baby, baby look at me" I cradled her face with my palms and set her eyes back to mine. " I would never ever leave you to that man okay? I know that he is by far the worst person on this planet earth and I wouldn't want you anywhere near him. He is a very wicked man and it is very wrong for me to describe someone to you this way but when I do know it's for a good reason okay?" I wiped away a tear that had managed to drop from the corner of her eye.

" Wow, if this is how mother's describe people to their kids, I doubt if there would be such a thing as a social circle " A voice comes from behind Louisa and I rise instinctively, pushing her to hide at my back.

" Do I know you?" I asked this sudden deliciously, good looking man before me.

" Sadly, no. I would have been glad to meet more beautiful faces like yours in my life " The blonde young man in a sleeveless white top and blue jeans folded his arms across his chest.

" If you're trying to flirt, it's not working " I rolled my eyes at him and now held Louisa by my side.

" Well it is, since it managed to change your mood from sad to getting pissed off " He shrugged.

" Do you mind! Language!" I lifted my hand that held Louisa's.

" Sorry about that. You guys just looked down and not in the mood, I only came to get ice cream before I saw the atmosphere and tried to lighten it up. I'm Mason by the way" He walked up to the ice cream cart that was still in it's position and acted like he didn't just say a word to us.

" I'm uh-  Jules" I said after him.

" If you're not saying your real name, there's no need to speak up " He's now facing me with his arms leaning against the truck.