61

After Chase and Faye got back, Elijah was reluctant to go, so I asked if he wanted to stay in town for the holidays; I even invited Tatiana, with Faye's permission of course because they'd be around the apartment a lot

After Chase and Faye got back, Elijah was reluctant to go, so I asked if he wanted to stay in town for the holidays; I even invited Tatiana, with Faye's permission of course because they'd be around the apartment a lot. She seemed a little hesitant but eventually decided that me needing to fix my relationship with my siblings was more important than her reservations about Tatiana.

"So I've been thinking—" Chase gets cut off.

"Uh oh," Faye says giggling and Chase just rolls his eyes. We're all sitting on the couches, watching Elf on the tv.

"Let's go get a tree!" Chase says excitedly, smiling at the rest of us.

"It's a little earl—"

"It's December, it's not too early." He defends.

"No I agree, I want one," I say, holding his hand and smiling. "I want one right now."

Everybody looks around hesitantly, but I know they'll give in so I go get my shoes and they all stand up so we can go find a tree. Everyone piles into two cars, considering Maddox, Luke, and Reece are here, as usual, making it eight people. Maddox, Reece, Luke, and Faye take Maddox's Escalade and Chase, Tatiana, Elijah and I take Chase's truck. I look up where we can find a tree and the nearest place is a half hour away, so I text Faye the address in case we get split up on the way there.

"So what's going on between Faye and Reece?" Tatiana asks and Chase and I look at each other while Elijah continues to look out the window, not bothering with this conversation. Typical older brother.

"Honestly, I have no idea. They say they're just friends, but they're pretty much inseparable." I say and Chase nods in agreement. Tatiana makes her own comments about her observations and I mostly tune them out.

We pull into the small parking lot, half full with Christmas trees ranging in sizes, the other vehicle pulling up right beside us. We all pile out and split up. The boys pick one for their own house, and Faye, Tatiana and I pick one for the apartment. We decide on a decently tall tree, one that will definitely be a snug fit against the ceiling. They also sell tree skirts and stands so we buy one of each of those as well. After the boys finish tying down the trees to the Chase's truck, we go get a bite to eat at a local diner called Pretty's.

We are directed to sit at a large booth and I sit in between Chase and Tatiana with Luke beside Chase, and Faye sits between Maddox and Reece, with Elijah on the other side of Reece. After Tatiana's comment, I can't help but watch my best friend and Reece.

I choose to ignore it, whatever may be going on, hoping she would tell me if anything was going on. Faye deserves to have the time to figure it all out on her own. Chase orders a burger for me and I pout because I wish that I was less predictable, but it is exactly what I would have ordered for myself so I keep my mouth shut.

"Were you actually going to order something else or do you just want to want to order something else?" Chase asks knowingly, nudging my side with his elbow and I scoff.

"I guess we'll never know." I retort sarcastically, not actually upset with him. He kicks me under the table and I mock glare at him until our food is brought out soon after. My eyes light up at the sight of the burger and we all dig in.

"So can we all promise not to do anything big for presents?." Reece says as nicely as possible. Elijah scoffs impolitely and I glare at him.

"Who told him?" I direct my glare from Chase to Faye, the more likely secret spiller. She shrugs guiltily and shoves a few fries in her mouth. I roll my eyes.

"No way, I'm spoiling you guys and you just have to accept it," Tatiana says. "You're all pretty cool. Call me a bitch if you will." She just shrugs and we all roll our eyes. Drama queen.

"Wow T, you're such a bitch for buying me a lavish present, I will never forgive you," Elijah says, his voice dripping with sarcasm and everyone laughs. Tatiana just rolls her eyes but has a very unapologetic face.

"Wait, I actually don't know where you guys sit now. Have you been disowned and cut-off? Nevermind. Anyway, if you decide to spend money, just try to make it as thoughtful as possible, so we feel less bad." Faye offers and we all nod. Usually people, including myself at first, assume Chase is loaded but what I recently found out is that he is also here on an athletic scholarship, meaning the money that he has, has been earned and saved thoughtfully. "Luke? Not that it matters," She laughs and he shrugs and smiles.

"I'm loaded," He says with a mouthful of burger and I shake my head with a smile.

"I've already got everyone's gifts, and I'm not returning them so..." I say with a cheeky shrug and a smirk. "I also want you to know that I don't expect anything from any—"

"Oh shut up, as if we won't get you anything," Maddox says looking annoyed but I know him better, he's just trying to get on my nerves. I was serious though, I never received thoughtful gifts from anyone but Faye, and I don't want people to spend money on gifts for me if they are just for show.

Faye looks at me with a look of understanding, she knows exactly what I'm thinking because I've told her before. Her gifts are always inexpensive, but mean more to me than anything else I've ever received. I treasure her gifts always. Two years ago, she bought me a dog tag necklace that matched Elijah's, because she knew how distraught I was over him joining the military. We weren't always close but now that I have him back and I think about it, I was never really okay with his choice to leave without saying goodbye, for it could have been the last time I saw him alive.

Faye has been with me through everything, good times and bad, and I always want to be there for her as well, for anything she could possibly need. She's my soulmate, the person who I know will be with me forever.

 She's my soulmate, the person who I know will be with me forever