•F I F T Y - F O U R•

Too fidgety to return to her empty room, Marguerite went to the Library and settled in her favorite chair near the fireplace. A perfect place to ponder, prepare, reflect.

But she couldn't sit still. Instead she paced as three names circled over and over in her mind.

Clémentine. Cornelius. Adelaide.

She wasn't yet sure about the third one, nor was she positive she was complicit. But the more she thought of it, the more she saw a link between the Dowager and the Duke. They terrified her and reprimanded her—but something else was off. Clémentine hated Giromians, and the Duke wasn't reputed for being a kind soul. What would push them together? Had they struck a bigger bargain than him picking a wife among the Totresian contenders? King Romain's arrival was part of it, yes; but was there more?

Marguerite recalled Cornelius hadn't chosen someone yet. Or had he?

Has he set his views on another of my girls, with Clémentine's help?

Had Clémentine summoned her girls for the Giromians? Was that why she was so adamant on them coming to court this year, of all others? Had she made some sordid bargain with Giroma, promised them Totresian wives, and the Academy was her last resort since every other lady refused?

Too many questions. Why would a foe of Giroma strike deals with its King and highest ranking noble? Did Clémentine seek the peace alliance all Totresian monarchs had prayed for, to end the centuries of passive-aggressive fighting?

Edouard never would have permitted it. But since he is dead...

Thoughts flurried in and out of her, draining her energy, rendering her too dizzy to keep pacing. She sank into the comforting cushions, yet their softness did nothing to assuage her fears.

Totresians garnering Giromian interest, Kings dethroned by their mothers, Queens marrying their husband's brothers... it was all too much. Too intense. Too unreal.

Did Clémentine not see how she would weaken Totresia by removing Antoine from power? Out of her three sons, he was the strongest. The better-versed in royal politics. The one with the real claim. Jules was a child. A reckless, drunken, loose-lipped fool that she adored, but who wasn't ready to be King.

Unless he gives her special permission to control the kingdom for him while he goes on with his frolicking?

Marguerite couldn't wait for Adelaide to deliver her message to Antoine—if she intended to. She needed to find him first, share her woes, pick his brain. And fast, before Clémentine and Cornelius had any chance to set things in motion.

If Antoine wasn't upstairs, where would he be? There were few nobles out and about that day, and no lines of lesser men and paupers in the Entryway, meaning he wasn't holding court. So would he be in the Meeting Room? Or his Office?