Chapter 2

I guess I got a little too relaxed, as I ended up falling asleep on my couch. 

*****  

I woke up to my cell phone going off like crazy. I pried an eye open and looked at the clock. It was three in the morning. And my boss was calling, again. I let out a groan and slid the green bar, answering it. 

"What the hell do you want?" I grumbled, rubbing my eye. 

"Jeez, that's no way to talk to your employer." She retorted. 

"And you have no reason to be calling me at three A.M.." I said, sitting up and crossing my legs. 

"Actually, I do have a reason. The shop burned down through the night. All that's left is a frame of a building." She said, her voice as apathetic as it ever could have been. My eyes snapped wide open. 

"What?!" I said, standing. "No! You're kidding!" I almost shouted.

"I'm not. They don't know when they are going to rebuild, either. So, everyone is out of a job." She said, her tone unchanging. 

I groaned loudly. "Are we at least still getting paid?" I asked, more concerned about my electricity bill than anything else.

"Yeah, and we're being compensated for next week, too. So we have two weeks worth of pay coming in on payday." She told me. I immediately relaxed.

"Oh, thank God." I said, plopping back onto my couch. 

"Yeah. So, start job hunting now."

"No kidding. Was that all you needed?" I asked, propping my feet back up. 

"Yeah, that's all."

"Alright. Thank you, Tosh. See you 'round, I guess." I said, shrugging. 

"Yeah. Talk to you later." She said, hanging up the phone. 

I dropped my phone on the floor next to the couch and slid own in my seat, turning off the T.V.. 'Maybe I should apply for that security position at the UA.' I thought as I was slowly lured back to sweet sleep. 

*****

My morning alarm was going off a few hours later, indicating that I needed to get up and go to work. I had gotten up and made it halfway through my morning routine before I remembered the conversation Tosh and I had last night. I half scowled and half smiled. The scowl because I was up for no reason, the smile because I didn't have to go in and deal with idiots today. I finished cleaning myself up and looked around with nothing to do. So, I decided to make breakfast.

I rummaged through my cupboards, finding little to eat. I normally ate at work, so I never kept a lot of food around the house. I had some pancake mix and half a package of sausage left. I shrugged and made it, singing to myself as I cooked. 

"Maybe I'll go grocery shopping today..." I mumbled.

"That sounds like a great idea!" A voice shouted from my front door. 

I screamed and threw my spatula toward the voice. My spatula hit my best friend, Ashley. She laughed as it her her in the chest and she caught it. 

"Nice reflexes!" She said, tossing my spatula back to me. 

"Good Christ, Ashley! How the held did you even get in here?" I said, clutching my chest. 

"I have a key, dingus." She said, holding up the spare key I had given her a while back. 

"Shit, I forgot about that." I said, shaking off my fear and flipping my pancake. 

"Yeah, so what are you making?" She asked, walking into the kitchen and peering into the pans I had on the stove.