Epilogue

The wedding feast, Suzanna had determined, was decidedly far too delicious and her stomach far too small. She eyed a strawberry tart covered in cream and looked around nervously. Would anyone notice if she had her fourth strawberry tart?

Oh... of course they would. They were all here to celebrate her wedding, after all. Suzanna looked over at Samuel who was seated next to her, his plate still full of food he clearly intended to finish. He stuffed a small chocolate cake in his mouth just as he made eye contact with her. Suzanna grinned and patted his leg softly. He wasted no time in taking her hand, continuing to eat slowly with his spare hand.

She decided to risk eating the fourth tart. After all, she deserved to enjoy herself. Heaven, she thought to herself as the flavours exploded in her mouth. From next to her, Rose released a happy laugh as she spoke to someone on her other side. Tristan and Father were placed next to Samuel, engaging it what sounded like a detailed conversation about contracts between the monarch and his servants. Suzanna decided not to pay too much attention to such a conversation.

She could feel eyes on her as people occasionally glanced up to watch the bride and her husband. Husband. Suzanna felt as though she could explode with pride.

The ceremony was simple and sweet, with only their closest friends and family attending. Samuel and Suzanna had given their vowels and she now proudly wore her grandmothers ring. She stared at it for a moment, twinkling away on her finger. It would take a bit of time to get used to seeing it there.

"Are you happy?" Samuel murmured to her, breaking her out of her thoughts.

She squeezed his hand. "Happier than the happiest person alive."

Samuel raised his eyebrows. "My, that is happy."

Suzanna looked across the room and smiled at Duke Wilson and Adeline. The siblings were seated at a nearby table, talking quietly to themselves. Wilson, evidently feeling her gaze, glanced up and returned her smile. It was genuine and supportive, but she did not miss the evident grief in his eyes. It was not grief that he was not the one married to Suzanna, it was grief for his brother.

Suzanna felt a pang in her own heart. After consulting with his advisors and Father, Tristan had decided on the judgement for Caden – exile for a decade. He could return then, report to the king, and - under watch – perhaps Caden would be able to live a semi-normal life. Suzanna knew the loss and betrayal of their brother had taken a toll on Adeline and Wilson.

"Do you think they will be okay?" Suzanna asked softly. Samuel follow her gaze and studied the pair.

He nudged her gently. "With a friend like you, of course."

"I am sad for them," she sighed. "I could not bear to lose either of my brothers."

Next to her, Rose squeezed her forearm lightly. "This is not a day to be sad, it is a day to rejoice." Her open smile lifted Suzanna's spirit.

Yes, they would be okay – all of them. Even Caden.

When the formal dining had subsided, the musicians began to play louder, setting the tone for a celebration. Samuel wasted no time in standing up and holding out his hand.

"Dance with me, Princess?"

She took his hand and eagerly navigated out of her chair, avoiding on stepping on her skirt. "Gladly, Sir Knight."

He grinned and pulled her to the open space. They stepped together and began a simple dance – their first dance as husband and wife, she realised. The guests were quiet while watching them, a few wiping away tears.