Arc 5.9 Empress of Four Kingdoms

"What did you just say," by this point, Emperor Li had already thrown out his polite speech as he narrowed his almost golden eyes, glowering down at the younger Emperor before him.

Hua Shen stood tall and dignified, unlike what would be expected of other youngsters his age especially in front of a monarch. Well, as tall and dignified as possible with his chin resting atop Li Feifei's head and his strong arms wrapped possessively around her waist.

Because Li Feifei was about a head and a half shorter than he was, his back was slightly slouched forward, but he was still able to maintain a regal aura tantamount to Emperor Li's.

The young Emperor of Hua flashed a childish smile towards the Emperor of Li, "Imperial Father-in-law, this son-in-law asked for Fei-er's hand in marriage and hoped to merge our two kingdoms."

"WHAT. I DARE YOU TO SAY THAT ONE MORE TIME, " Emperor Li smashed his jade cup down onto the small table before him, shattering both the table and the cup upon impact.

But none of that seemed to bother Hua Shen as the youngster remained oblivious, "Imperial Father-in-law, this son-in-law asked for Fei-er's hand in marriage and hoped to merge our two kingdoms."

He even added a finishing line as if he and Li Feifei had already done the deed and they had no choice but to continue on with the marriage, "Imperial Father-in-law, please give us your blessing."

Emperor Li wanted to cough blood but had to maintain his majestic air as the highest in seniority within the throne room at this moment.

Seeing as this shameless upstart emperor's face was too thick, Emperor Li instead turned to his daughter and his eyes and tone of voice softened considerably.

"What are Fei-er's thoughts about this marriage? It's okay to be truthful."

Li Feifei inwardly raised a brow as she thought, Father, if this one were to be truthful you would certainly have a heart attack and die, which is not good for my side mission. After all, the truth is that my soul is already pregnant with this devil's child ah.

But she forced herself to blush as she directed her gaze to the floor and meekly replied, "Imperial Father, Fei-er feels that Shen-gege is much better than General Long."

Hearing this, Emperor Li's smile froze. Actually, his entire being froze in disbelief and despair. But Li Feifei was also royalty and tried to give him rational reasons.

"If Li and Hua form a permanent alliance, the citizens will only prosper and never suffer. Imperial Father, this princess will guarantee that our citizens of Li will never suffer in the hands of Hua."

The emperor sighed, "Fei-er. Father is ashamed to admit that father doesn't care about them right now as much as father cares for Fei-er's happiness. Emperor Hua Shen, is an emperor. Do you understand?"

What he didn't need to say was that Emperors always had to take in concubines whether they wanted to or not. Even him, who only wanted to stay faithful to his beloved Empress couldn't shy away from his duty as the ruler of a nation.

He didn't want his only daughter to suffer such a fate as having to fight other venomous snakes in the Imperial Harem. His own was already a pesky existence and the only one causing all the trouble was one lone concubine, what more if one should speak of Hua Shen.

Emperor Li only knew that Hua Shen was still young and full of vigor. He may be passionate over his daughter now, but who could say that he would still favor her even in the future after tasting all the women he could get in his own Imperial Harem?