Arc 5.14 Empress of Four Kingdoms

They arrived at the party right on time. All of the officials of Li were present as well as their families. Even the concubines and shu children of the lower officials were invited since it was a farewell party.

This meant that the female lead was accompanied by her bratty step-sisters and lecherous brother who was always away guarding the eastern border between Li and Shi. 

In actuality, even though the trio's mother was a concubine at the time of their births, currently she had already been elevated to the status of General Bai's second first wife. This only made Bai Ping's position in the family even more curious but as she had deep ties with the royal family, General Bai didn't dare to lower her status either. He treated her situation as if her birth mother had died back then.

General Bai's attitude was lukewarm towards Bai Ping as she did have some uses with her connection to the royal family. However, he valued her sisters more as he believed that they had the potential to aim even higher.

For example, he obviously wanted to pair one with Li Yun and the other he wanted to send off along with Li Feifei to Hua as Hua Shen's concubine. Even though he didn't explicitly say it, the gazes that the trio had sent out were conveying their intentions clearly for all to see.

Of course, they were ignored by both Li Yun and Hua Shen. If anything, the trio had to personally go up and try talking to Li Feifei if they wanted to get anywhere with these two men who doted on her to the extremes.

But as Li Feifei had just arrived, they had enough sense to wait until the right moment to bring up the matter of Hua Shen taking up a concubine and Li Yun taking up his first wife.

Regarding both men, neither of them had any prior scandals with women. At least, if they had then no one was aware of it. For one, Hua Shen was only fourteen and if he wasn't the emperor then he normally wouldn't have had to marry for another two years. That didn't mean he didn't have a former fiancée. In fact, he did and they were reportedly childhood friends, but she was never heard from again after he stepped onto the throne.

In Li Yun's case, no one could spark his interest. His existence was like that of an immortal amongst mortals. While all the women in Li would love to have him as their husband, at the same time they felt that no one was truly worthy of his hand in marriage.

The Emperor and the Empress left it up to their own sons to choose who they wanted to marry.

As for Li Feifei's arranged marriage, they practically raised Long Zheng. Even though it turned out to be a wrong decision on their part in the original timeline, none of that really mattered to the current Li Feifei. If anything, such a connection with her task target was a godsend.

Speaking of Long Zheng, he was currently seated directly across from General Bai's position as they were of the same rank and status. The party was not segregated by gender as opposed to the typical ancient customs.

In the first place, while the world's setting was similar to ancient China's in many aspects, the customs were all over the place. The propriety between men and women were less strict, women had slightly more freedom overall but it was still highly limited, and the age of consent was obviously lower.

Men could get married once they reached the age of sixteen. In Hua Shen's case it wasn't good to leave the Empress's seat empty so he was an exception to this. Women could only marry after they turn fifteen.

On the original timeline, Bai Ping was only thirteen when she stepped up as Li Hao's Empress. Because he was the Emperor, it went without saying that the rules and regulations certainly didn't apply to him nor to those he didn't want them to apply to. So, although he was only fifteen at the time he was also an emperor. And, even though Bai Ping was only thirteen, she was the only woman he would allow to become his Empress. In fact, she was the only woman he'd wed in his lifetime.