Chapter 28

"He's in our class too!" Harper said pointing to Jalen.

"You're so excited. Why don't you go talk to him!" Pay said.

"I would , but he wouldn't talk to fresh meat remember?!"

Paisley , Harper , and Jalen all had a speech class together. They were told to get in groups of three for a group project.

"Okay it's just us two. We can work together." Paisley said.

"Your big brother is alone , maybe you should invite him." Harper smirked.

Pay rolled her eyes and walked over to her brother. "Hey Jalen."

"Sup."

"Uh. Do you need a group? My friend Harper and I need a third person."

He shrugged and grabbed his things walking over to their table. Harper was so happy she couldn't wipe that smiled off her face.

"Are you okay Jalen? You haven't given any input on what you want the project to be." Paisley said. He was just sitting there , listening to them discuss or burying his face into his phone.

"Yeah. Yeah I'm cool." He said.

"Okay, so we're gonna come over when it's my turn to go over dad's." Paisley.

"Stop referring to him as our dad. He's not my pops." Jalen fussed.

"Well Whatever happened to your father then?" Harper asked as Pay gave her a stare.

"I don't know. He's not in my life. My mama doesn't talk about him. Every time I ask about him, she tries to change the subject." Jalen shrugged.

"Oh. Sorry." Harper responded.

"It's cool. I got a stepdad , he's not my real dad, but he's making up for why my real dad didn't or couldn't do."

Paisley smiled , "Yes he is a good man. Have you seen Braxton?"

"Nah. I don't really care too much about him. He's not my real brother."

"Okay , but he's your step brother, just like I'm your step sister. He's twelve now." Paisley showed Jalen a picture.

"Cool. Don't care. Class is almost over , I'll see y'all later." Jalen said grabbing his things.

"He's cute , but he's so rude!" Harper whispered.

"Yeah. It's cool. I'm used to it." Paisley shrugged grabbing her things , with Harper following after her. Pay's feelings were hurt she was the only child in her household and now that she has another sibling who doesn't want anything to do with her , kind of hurts. Ever since she first met Jalen, he gave off a weird vibe , but she knew it was something about him that she couldn't put her finger on.

"No you're not. I'm your best friend. I can see right through you Pay Pay. What's wrong?!"

"I just wanna know what it feels like to have a big brother. Jalen doesn't want to be that. He says hi and bye and keeps it pushing. I want to spend time with him get to know him better. All I know is that his name is Jalen and he's my fathers step son. Nothing more nothing less. I wanna know what he likes and what he doesn't like. His fears, his motivations , his favorite foods, his birthday for crying out loud!"
She was getting a little emotional, but with the help of her best friend, she was fine.

"I'm sorry girl. He'll come around. That's how I was with my step dad. I never had a father until I started with grade and he used to be so cruel towards my sister and I. Didn't want to speak to us , take us anywhere. All he wanted to do was be with my mom and we were tired of that , so we kept trying to get to know him and a few months later , Naomi and I are like his best friends." She shrugged.