one.

1902EMBER

1902
EMBER

"John!" I squeal, mud and grime from Birmingham's streets clinging to my shoes and stockings as I chase after my best friend. "John Shelby, slow down!" I find myself growing frustrated as my legs fail to catch up to him, finally resorting to screaming. "JOHN!"

The shrillness of my cry stops him in his tracks and he comes to a halt quickly, momentarily worried I'm in trouble.

He frowns when he sees the cheeky little smirk on my face. "Ember Jean, go home. You know Aunt Pol doesn't like when you tag along while I'm workin'."

His brothers, now at the ages of twelve and fifteen, have begun to spend their time with the Peaky Blinders in hopes of soon joining the gang. Being only seven years old, John is stuck selling newspapers as a legitimate way to earn money for the family.

"Polly went to church. She doesn't know I followed you." I grin, a piece of my long brown hair fluttering into my face from the light morning breeze.

John shakes his head but can't stop the crooked smile from spreading onto his features. "Fine." He sighs, pushing the lock of hair back into place behind my ear. "But if I tell you to hide, do as you're told for once, eh?"

"Do this Ember. Do that Ember. That's all you do is boss me around all day." I pout.

John rolls his eyes. "You hear the stories Arthur and Tommy tell about the streets of Small Heath. Just let me take care of you."

"We're six and seven. What could possibly happen to us?" I shrug, reaching for John's hand that isn't cradling a stack of newspapers to his side.

He puffs his chest out with pride. "Nothing. Not while I'm around."

1909
JOHN

"Ember Jean!" I shout, seeing her up on the bridge over the cut. She's walking along the edge like she's on a tightrope, a bottle of whiskey in her hand, and a boy with her.

I can't remember his name but recognize him from school. Ember startles from the sudden noise and begins to lose her balance. The boy grabs her waist in an attempt to steady her.

All I see is red. "Get your fucking hands off her!" I shout, quickly crossing the distance to the maintenance ladder and climbing it in record time to join them up on the bridge.

"John." She says, sobering up immediately when she sees how livid I am. Ember places her small hand on my forearm and I relax.

It lasts for only a moment as the boy from school speaks. "I've got Ember plenty looked after. She doesn't need you following her around everywhere like some toy soldier."

My hand immediately clenches, making a tight fist. Ember feels the muscles in my arm tense and let's me go, moving away to create a safe distance from herself and the fight she knows is about to break out. She acts on instinct, reading my mind, knowing me better than I know myself at times.