04

Tyler Sanders

This girl is a mystery.

First of all she looks exactly like the Isabella, my best friend's sister. She kind of looks like all the Cartwright sisters. It's weird.

She just shows up out of nowhere and happens to be the doppelgänger of two of the most popular girls in the school. There is a story behind it, I can tell. It's just not my place to say.

Secondly, the look in her eyes shows that she's seen so much, so much disappointment and hurt. I just know it's haunting her. When I look at her, I just want to take all her pain away and make it my own.

She has small white scars along her hands and neck, from what I can see, and she was obviously really hurt bad. I could tell by the simplest tap to the arm. Why hasn't anyone tried to help her?

But I can't worry about this any longer. I've got a huge game tonight against the rival school and as the quarterback I need a clear mind.

But I can't help thinking of her...

Aubrey Valentina

I had a free block my second to last period so I went to the empty computer lab. I sat by the window and got to digging. I looked up 'Stefano Romano' and guess what I found?!

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

Every single link I opened just brought me to a website that was blocked by the school. I am just going to have to use the laptop at home or something. But for now I'm going to forget my troubles and have fun with Maia.

———————————

"You can't wear that! It's a theme: a white out," Maia said throwing me a pair of white denim shorts, a white sweater , and oversized denim jacket. The weather had gotten warmer since the morning, but it was still colder that what I was used to.

"I'm not wearing this! Can't I just leave this on," I complained, pointing to my outfit.

"No, now get changed!" She said looking through her closet.

I get up from her comfy bed and into her bathroom.

She doesn't realize how easy she has it.

I look in the mirror and for once in my life I look pretty.

I looked through her cupboard and find some gauze and medical tape and gently wrap the wound. It's finally starting to form a scab so it won't be hurting as bad.

After another few minutes I walk out and Maia's jaw drops.

She's so dramatic.

But I secretly love it. I wish I had her personality.

"You look hot!" She jumps up and down, applauding her work.

I slide on the converses she gave me to complete the look.

Then she handed me a backpack.

"All of this stuff is too small for me so I want you to have it," she said with pity in her eyes.

"Um, okay? Thanks Maia," I say giving her a hug.

I only took it so that I wouldn't sound ungrateful. She was only trying to help me, she is my friend and I think that's what friends do. My so-called parents never helped or gave me anything. Most of what I owned was bought from the thrift shop or stolen from donation bins.

I look at my friend and she looks so beautiful. Her short brown hair flows in waves stopping at her shoulders. She is wearing a white skirt and white #42 jersey with the name Jackson on the back.

"It's my boyfriend's. His name is Maxx, he's the wide receiver." She says answering my thoughts.

"Let's go!" I shout and we leave for the game.

————

When we arrive at the school, Maia leads us to some empty seats some friends were saving for us.

"Everyone, this is Aubrey," she introduces.

Two girls look up at me in confusion. One guy gives me a nod of acknowledgement and starts talking to someone. Then, one of the girls asks "You mean Kacy, right?"

I felt my body sink into myself. "No, I um- my name is Aubrey. I'm a new student here."

"Oh."

After that awkward encounter, Maia and I sit down and look on the field. The game was just about to begin, both teams were in their huddles and they started chanting.

The buzzer went off and it was game time.

My eyesight was not the greatest, however Maia made sure to let me know the scores as it went up.

She tells me #2 made a touchdown, and that he was now looking in our direction, smiling.

"That's weird," I comment.

She smirks. "I think that's Tyler."

"No way, why would he be smiling at me?"

"I think he likes youuuu..."

————

Our team won! Maia runs down the bleachers and runs to who I'm assuming is Maxx; I stagger behind her.

And of course I end up being the third wheel!

"Hey Maia. I should get going my parents are gonna kill me," I lie. Barbara and Anderson were probably at some run-down bar by now.

"Ya okay. See you tomorrow?"

I smile. "Ya definitely."

I started my long four mile walk. I don't have a thick jacket on so all I feel is the wind brushing against my entire body. It's so freezing upstate. Nevada was so much warmer than here.

I shiver and clutch Maia's bag close for some extra warmth but it doesn't help. Out of nowhere are black Jeep pulls up next to me.

"Need a ride?" Antonio yells, insincerely may I add, across the passenger side. I notice that Tyler flinches because he practically yelled in his ear.

I look over blankly and say a blunt "no."

"Come on Aubrey get in the car you're gonna get sick out here," Tyler says.

"I've only got a few minutes left. I'll be fine," I say as I start walking again.

"If you say so sweetcheeks!" Antonio yells before speeding down the road.

He needs to never call me that again. It grosses me to an extent i can not describe.

After another thirty minutes of walking I get back to the house I have to call home. Thank goodness they aren't home or I'd be in so much trouble.

I put Barbara's sweater and boots back in her closet and get to my 'room' aka the freaking BASEMENT!

I look inside the bag Maia gave me and smile at the warm clothes she has given me. At least most of it is somewhat modest and will cover the bruises and scars.

I get rid of my old denim school bag and put my folders inside the simple black one.

I squish up all the blankets into a makeshift mattress and wrap myself up in the sheet I put in the washer.

I close my eyes and finally try to get some rest, but my sleep is filled with nightmares and fear.