Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

I straighten out my new blazer as I take the elevator up to the fifteenth floor. This isn't the biggest or fanciest building in the world, but I know the technology they keep in the labs is top notch and that is all I care about. The elevator doors slide open and I walk over to the one receptionist. I read the name plaque, Madge.

"Hi, my name is Aviva Arlington, I have a two o'clock appointment with Miss Winters," I say.

"Hello dearie, you want to talk to Dorothy over there, she is Miss Winters assistant," she says.

I swing my head to the side and see Dorothy look up at the mention of her name. Her soft short brown hair falls back into place and her light brown eyes sparkle as she smiles at me before she calls Miss Winters to let her know I am here.

"You can go back, it's the office on the left," she says with another smile.

"Thank you," I say before walking past the two desks and down the hall.

I stop and face the door on the left. I lift my hand to knock when a door opening behind me startles me. I spin around confused and see none other than Alexander standing there with multiple files in his hand and a pleasantly surprised look on his face.

"Aviva, is today your interview?"

"Yes, it is," I say.

"Don't let her intimidate you, you're a brilliant engineer," he says with a playful wink.

"Oh, don't make it sound like I am scary," a voice smooth voice behind me says.

I spin halfway back around and see a woman in a black paint suit and shiny, black four-inch heels leaning against the door frame. Her hair is almost as black as her clothes and she has the most brilliant grey eyes that have the faintest slant to them. I can see little flecks of green glinting in them from the corner of my vision.

"Don't you have more important things to be doing Xander?" Cathleen muses with a playful smirk and Alexander scoffs. Xander?

"I will see you later Aviva," Alexander says, and I wave goodbye as he walks away.

"Please come in Miss Arlington," the beautiful woman says.

I follow her into the office, and she closes the door behind me. My heartbeat spikes slightly and I find my hands trembling as I take a seat and push my glasses up my face. She strides across the room in a few confident strides before taking a seat very gracefully. She unbuttons her suit jacket and I can see a tight V-neck blouse hugging her thin, but strong frame.

"So, Miss Arlington what exactly do you want to accomplish during your time here?"

"Please call me Aviva, Miss Winters. During my time here, I want to explore molecular manipulation and its use in technology," I say trying to keep my voice level. I know they are doing extensive research here on the subject currently.

"I see here that you have already completed a concentration in Particle Physics, do you feel that you have enough understanding of the subject to do a three-month project on it?"

"I wouldn't have said it if I didn't feel comfortable working on it," I say trying to be as confident as she seems.

"I was curious about you when Alexander spoke so highly and adamantly of you, especially with how young you are, so I did a little research," she says, and my eyes widen in surprise. I keep quiet, not sure what to say in response.