Betrayal

I gazed longingly at the hooker from across the street. She was leaned over a cars passenger window, chatting up the man inside. I felt the all too familiar burn creeping up my throat. I could easily take them both out, yet some idiotic human part of me wondered if the man, who was letting the street walker into his car, had a family back home.

A family he was betraying as he unclipped her bra and let her shove her hand down his pants.

I sighed. I could practically hear their blood pumping as the two went at it, but I controlled myself. It was easier to go unnoticed if a hooker or a druggie disappeared every so often, but a man with a not-so-cheap looking vehicle? That was a no-go. I waited another fifteen minutes before the man started up his car and disappeared from sight. Perhaps he was going back to his family.

I tried not to think whether or not the lady had a family. The closer I got the more I could smell the drugs. Her entire outfit was practically covered in them. I snuck up behind her as she readjusted her skimpy tank top.

To grab or not to grab, I thought to myself.

I waited until she had put away her lipstick before I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her into the alley behind us. I put a hand over her mouth as she screamed out in shock. I turned her around to face me and gave her a dazzling smile. She smacked at my hands and I let her go.

"No touching unless you pay," she smacked her gum loudly, "Extra for the ladies."

I simply smiled wider as I closed in on her. She rolled her eyes and backed up against the wall behind her.

"I ain't got all night, sweetheart," she flirted playfully.

"I don't either," I muttered.

Before she could respond I closed one hand over her mouth and sunk my sharp teeth into her jugular. She screamed in pain, or maybe it was fear - it was all the same nowadays. I sighed deeply as I allowed her blood to flow through my system. I drank until the burning diminished to nothing and her body was limp in my arms.

Once I was finished with her, I raided her pockets. As rude and inconsiderate as that may be, I did it every time. Maybe part of whatever soul I had left wanted closure as to whose life I had just ended. Or maybe some part of my human curiosity had made it's way to my new life.

None the less, I came across a small bag of coke and a few hundred dollar bills. No wallet. No pictures. No phone. I shrugged and left the money and drugs in her purse as I threw her over my shoulder. I glanced up and down the road before making my way up one of the taller buildings in the area. I left her purse and jacket on the roof as I dropped her over the side into the hard asphalt below. I pulled my long strawberry blonde hair up into a bun as I looked down at her body.

As awful as it may be, cops really didn't look too much into the deaths of people like her.

I had been staying in the Nevada area for quite some time now, but the never-ending sun was making it impossible for me to enjoy my stay. Not to mention the fact that, whether the cops cared or not, once the deaths started adding up the public would want something done about it and if there was a massive break like that then, well, the Volturi would soon hear about it.

I shuddered at the thought of them. The only true 'government' figures for people like me. All powerful vampires with centuries of talent and gifts who could end any one of us.

The thought of the Volturi brought up an all too familiar name in my head. Carlisle Cullen. He had been a friend of theirs, if I recalled correctly.

"The Cullens," I murmered to myself.

It had been years since I had last spoken to any of them. Even longer for certain members of their odd family. They had a different way of life than most, a more humane version if you will. They interracted with humans on a daily basis and put up a true façade of the "all American family". Their pale skin and perfect features along with their undeniable talents made it obvious to others what they were, however their eyes were a liquid topaz where as others, such as mine, were a deep red.

I balanced on the edge of the building as I thought about the Cullen family. It had been far too long since I last saw them, and I was growing ever so tired of the constant hiding from the sun. They tended to live in colder, rainy places in order to keep up their human appearance. I pulled a couple quarters from the hookers purse and made my way to one of the payphones down the road. It rung once or twice before a smooth voice answered the phone.

"Hello?"

"Rosalie, is that you? It's Marceline. I thought I would come pay a visit."

The other line was quiet for a few moments.

"Actually, I think that's a perfect idea."

She went on to let me know that they had taken up a permanent recidency in Forks, Washington - not far from where I was now. I decided I would make the trip tomorrow night. It would be too risky with the sun coming up soon to go tonight.

As I made my way to one of the abandoned buildings downtown, where I had been staying in the basement the past few weeks, I couldn't help but think back to that man.

How could a man betray his own family so quickly? Just for a piece of ass. I shrugged it off as I grabbed a book from the small collection I had gathered while on the road. I sighed as I sunk into the book and waited for night to come once again.