Human

Steve was on his way to your house to pick you up for school but, he had to take Dustin today as well. As soon as Dustin got in the car he started nagging Steve.

“When are you gonna tell her you love her?”

“It’s none of your business”

“ Steve, you said she told you that she loved you like 3 months ago. You’ve been dating Y/N for a year now.”

Dustin made two very valid points. Steve recalled the day that you told him those three little words. You told after a date to the movies, he was dropping you off and you told him before you got out of the car. He froze after you said those words. He was in so much shock that he didn’t even say them back. You didn’t bring it up the next time you saw him so, he thought you forgot about it.

You and Steve had been dating for a year. He did love you,but, after Nancy he was afraid to be vulnerable with someone, he was still dealing with that even after a year into your relationship.

“Dustin, you don’t understand.” He sighed

“Look, Steve, I get that what Nancy did to you was horrible. Okay? It’s been a year and you’ve been with Y/N the whole time.”

“Look we’re pulling up to her house now, don’t say anything.”

Regular POV

You heard Steve pull up and walked towards his car with a warm smile. You hopped in the car and kissed Steve hello, while turning around to greet Dustin by taking off his hat and messing with his hair, laughing as he groaned while putting his hat back on. You all made small talk with each other on the to school, for some reason Steve seemed agitated.

When you got to school you told Steve that you needed to fish some books out of your bag and for him to go ahead. Dustin started to walk away from Steve’s car and you grabbed the back of his shirt and pulled him back towards you.

“What the hell Y/N?” He sounded annoyed.

“Do you know what’s up with Steve? Like, did something happen before I got in the car? Did I do something?” You could tell that Dustin was able to sense your worry.

“I don’t think you did anything. I think he’s just stressed.” He shrugged his shoulders.

“Oh okay, I’ll see ya later Dusty.” and with that you two went your separate ways.

You walked into school and noticed that Steve was standing by your locker patiently waiting for you to come inside so that you could go to your first class together.

“Took ya long enough. Why did it take you so long to get books out of your backpack?”

“Oh, Dustin asked me if the party could play D&D at my house.”

Thankfully he dropped the subject and you were on your way to your first class.

The day went by pretty slowly nothing that interesting happened. As soon as school got out you walked towards Steve’s car, waiting for him to exit school. Dustin soon arrived and you both waited for Steve in silence.

Steve finally exited school, walking slowly towards the car. His paced seemed to quicken once he noticed how annoyed you and Dustin both looked.

“Sorry guys” he mumbled before getting into the car. The car ride to Dustin’s house was unusually quiet but, after dropping Dustin off Steve cleared his throat.

“Do you have any plans tonight?”

“Nope I was just gonna watch movies, did you want to do something?”

“Uh yeah… I’ll meet you at the diner in like an hour.” Steve was acting weird but whatever.

“Okay, bye Steve”

You quickly exited Steve’s car and told your mom that you were meeting Steve at the diner in an hour. After about 45 minutes you decided to head to the diner and get you and Steve a booth. When you got there though, Steve was already at a booth waiting for you.

“Hey Steve” you greeted him with a hug.

“Hey Y/N” He still seemed off to you.

“Steve, are you okay? You been in a weird mood all day, did I do something? Are you breaking up with me? Is that why we’re here?” You began to ramble.

“No, Y/N stop. We aren’t breaking up, you didn’t do anything wrong. Dustin just said something to me this morning and it got to me that’s all, that’s why we’re here.”

“What did he say to you?” You were starting to worry a bit more.

“He said something about how I haven’t said that I love you to you yet. But, I know you know I love you, but, we’re human, and with we’re not here forever so, I want to tell you that I love you so much.”

“Steve-” you were quickly interrupted by the him.

“Just listen to me Y/N, I love the way you interact with the party, I love how smart you are, I love how you don’t care what anyone thinks, I love how forgiving you are, I love how nice you are, I love how patient you were with me, I just love you so much. I should’ve said it earlier, I should’ve said it back to you, I love you.”

You were overwhelmed with emotion, you almost started crying.

“I love you too Steve, I love you so much.”