Don't Care

You and Steve had been best friends since middle school. You knew about everything, you knew about Nancy, about the demogorgans, about his fight with Billy Hargrove. But, recently he had began distancing himself. It was strange to say the least. You guys were usually so close to one another and him becoming so distant kind of hurt.

You didn’t have anyone you could talk to about him. You were friends with Nancy but, she just broke up with him so, it might be weird if you confessed your feelings about Steve to his ex. You were friends with the party but, none of them, except Max and maybe Will, could keep a secret. So you decided on someone who doesn’t know Steve too well, Max Mayfield.

You called the Hargrove residence, praying that Susan would answer the phone, after about the third ring someone finally picked up.

“Hello, this is Susan Hargrove. Who is calling?” You silently thanked whatever holy entity for having Susan answer the phone.

“Hi Susan, this is Y/N, Max’s tutor.” Max told her family that you were her tutor so, that they wouldn’t question why she was hanging out with you.

“Oh, Hello Y/N, how are you?”

“I’m doing great! I was just checking to make sure it was still okay that Max and I study at my house tonight?”

“Oh, yeah that’s fine! Do you want me to have Billy drop her off?”

“Oh no, I can pick her up, would you just tell her I’ll be leaving my house in about 5 minutes?”

“Yes, of course! I’ll see you soon!” and with that you hung up the phone and ran out if your house and drove to the Hargrove house.

When you got there, you honked your horn twice, signaling that you here. She ran out of her house, and swung your car door open and threw her backpack in the backseat.

“Where are we going Y/N?” She asked as she reached over to buckle her seatbelt.

“The diner, I need help.” You didn’t even look at her, you just kept your eyes on the road.

“Woah, what happened?” She sounded worried.

“I’ll tell you when we get there.”

The rest of the 5 minute ride was filled with small talk. When you got to the diner you went to your usual booth, and when the waitress came you ordered your usual milkshakes, when your milkshakes got to your table, Max spoke up.

“Okay, spill Y/L/N.”

“It’s about Steve. We’ve been friends for a long time, and he’s becoming really distant, it hurts because I like him a lot and I thought he felt the same way. I just don’t know with him right now.” Max took a minute to let all of what you said sink in.

“He does like you, Dustin’s told me before that Steve, and I quote is “Fucking in love with you”.

You shook your head, you could picture Dustin spilling all of Steve’s secrets while he was on a sugar high.

“Then why is he acting like he doesn’t care?” you put your head in your hands and took a sip of your milkshake. Max’s eyes widened at the last part of your sentence.

“Oh my God. You just said he’s acting like he doesn’t care.” You were confused, you weren’t 100% sure about what she was getting at.

“Yeah, why?”

“Because, remember when Steve dropped Dustin off at the Snowflake ball?”

“Yeah?”

“Well, Dustin told me that Steve had given him a pep talk in the car.”

“Okay, Max, I love you and all but, please get to the point.” She rolled her eyes but, did as you said.

“Well, Steve had told Dustin that if he wanted to get girls then he had to pretend like he didn’t care.” She watched as your face lit up.

“That son of a bitch.” You were annoyed, Steve had been doing this because he thought he could get you to like him more if he acted like he didn’t care. You an Max finished your milkshakes, you paid and dropped her off at her house. You drove straight to Steve’s house. When you got to his house, you knocked on the door and waited for him to answer. When, he finally, answered the door, he seemed confused as to why you were there.

“Hey Y/N, what’re you doing here?” You walked past him and into his house.

“Oh, yes please come in.” he said with sarcasm.

“We need to talk Steve.”

“Okay, what do we need to talk about?” You took a deep breath.

“Do you like me? Like as more than a friend?” Steve started to blush, he opened his mouth to talk but, no words came out so, he just nodded his head.

“So, why didn’t you just tell me? We could’ve been dating like 3 months ago but, nope. You had to go and do all this “pretend not to care” bullshit.”You ran a hand through your hair.

“Who told you?”

“That you like me or that you were pretending that you didn’t care? Because Max told me both of those things.”

Steve furrowed his eyebrows together, he hadn’t told Max about either of those things. You interrupted his thoughts by adding another sentence.

“But, Dustin did tell her about both of those things so, if you wanna be upset with someone be upset with him.” Steve shook his head, he still hadn’t answered you though.

“So, why did you pretend not to care?” Steve rubbed his chin, thinking over what he was going to say.

“I don’t know, I guess I thought that’s what girls liked?”

“Well, let me be the first girl to tell you that, I did not like that at all. And you should probably let me help Dustin with his girl problems from now on.” Steve chuckled and walked closer to you.

“Alright, you can help the little shit.” It was your turn to laugh, you wrapped your arms around him and pulled him into a hug.

You spent the night at Steve’s house, you were so glad that you and Max studied at the diner that night.