twenty-two (2nd draft)

Xavier

They describe in movies how your life flashes right before your eyes before you die. You remember all the important moments in your life. Everything you've worked for, everyone you've loved. I thought that was stupid. How can your whole life just flash before your eyes? I never believed that shit, that was until I saw the anger in Alejandro Valentín's eyes.

Adriana had fallen out of bed and onto the floor. I had to resist the urge to laugh. He stared down at her and yelled, "Why are you in bed with him?!" His voice radiated off of the walls. Chills went up my spine.

She quickly stood up and rubbed her nose. "Dad, calm down-"

"Calm down!?" He laughed maniacally. "Care to explain why I caught you in bed with Luis' son?"

He's acting like he caught us having sex.

Oh, that would've been really bad. Like really, really bad.

She exhaled deeply and whispered, "We're... together."

"Together?!" He looked at her, then at me. "Oh, fuck no!" He started stalking towards me and I shot up out of bed. He grabbed me by my throat and pushed me against the wall.

"Dad! Stop!" she yelled.

"I send my daughter here for you to fucking protect her and this is what I come back to?!"

"I'm sorry. We didn't mean-" He cut me off by gripping my neck tighter.

"Don't you dare speak." His tone was scary as fuck. I immediately shut my mouth.

"Alejandro! What are you doing?!" I looked at the door and Luciana was standing there. She had to have heard his yelling.

"I told him about Xavier and I," Adriana whispered to her.

"She knew?!" He turned around and looked at Luciana. "You knew and didn't tell me?!"

"Alejandro, let him go now." Her tone was firm and steady. She came over and placed her hand on his bicep. "Now." I felt him ease at her touch and he let go. I fell to my knees, gasping for air. Damn, I almost died right now. Adriana rushed over to me and cupped my face. She was shaking.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." I wiped away the tear that fell from her eye.

"Shh, it's not your fault." I placed my hands on her trembling hands.

"Adriana, pack up all your things. We're leaving," Alejandro said in a freakishly calm voice.

"I'm so sorry. I love you. I love you so much." She kissed me and left.

"Calm down. She's nineteen. She's not a baby anymore." I overheard Luciana talking to Alejandro. 

"She's my baby! She will always be my baby!"

"Let him come with us. If you don't let her say goodbye, she's never going to forgive you. They'll be in one car and we'll be in another."

"She's never going to forgive me either way. What does it matter?"

"Alex.. do it for Adriana."