19: BACK TO THE FUTURE

"Okay," Izuku muttered breathlessly to himself, digging his fingers into the crumbling concrete wall

"Okay," Izuku muttered breathlessly to himself, digging his fingers into the crumbling concrete wall. "Okay, Izuku. You're back in the future. You need to... do... something, oh god, I don't-"

He raised a hand to tug at his hair, desperately trying to keep his focus. If he was back, then he needed to tell people. Right. That was important.

The building was fairly local, which made his life a whole lot easier, because he wasn't about to trek across Japan with the burning persisting under his skin. He pushed his shoulders back and raised his head, plastering on a smile and hoping to fool his own fear with a facade of confidence. Izuku coolly stepped over his own bloodstain and left the room, his paces clacking loudly in the silence as he made his way down the stairs.

Sunlight glared down at him, burning his retinas until he relented and tugged his goggles back over his eyes before he continued on down the street. Tension rippled across his back as he fought against the rising pain and fear, focusing on the pavement ahead and taking determined steps, even as increasing waves of agony jolted through his muscles and his movements became strained. Since the district he was in was sparsely populated, there was no-one around to watch him struggle along, grabbing onto lampposts to support himself as his body screamed in protest.

He activated his Quirk, visibly flinching as it brought a stronger flood of discomfort, but he needed to tell someone what had happened. His limbs were coiled in green as he lifted off the ground, realising too late he was a little careless with his control as he felt the ground break under his feet. He shot forwards, tears blurring his tinted vision as he darted along, springing off buildings to propel himself further more rapidly.

Ochako's house was too far to travel in his state. Izuku changed course slightly, twisting his body and gritting his teeth against the jolt it brought before bouncing off towards the police station. His vision was starting to fade around the edges like a burning reel of film, but there was his solace, the front doors of Musutafu station, and he was so close, but-

The hero's legs gave out suddenly and he collapsed, tumbling along the road until his momentum wore off and he crashed into the pavement outside the building's doors, hard enough to send cracks spider-webbing out from his impact. He tried to pull himself back up despite the involuntary spasms in his muscles, feeling hot tears spill from his eyes and start to fill his goggles. It seemed as if fate was on his side, because there was a small commotion inside before the doors were shoved open, and he helplessly squinted up at the blurry figures.

One of them leaned over him, a black mask pressed over the upper half of his face and the ash-blond spikes of hair barely moving, even as he dipped his head with a sneer. "The f... Deku?"

Izuku would've cried if he wasn't already. "Kacchan."

"No, okay, what the fuck? You're dead. No. Fuck this. Fuck you." The young man snarled, explosions popping threateningly in his palms until the other person placed a trembling hand on his shoulder.