•F I F T Y - S I X•

The woods darkened, and each sound startled Marguerite as she clutched her cloak close to her body. Whether the noises were critters or wolves or spies, she wasn't sure; but she didn't wish to find out.

Antoine tugged his hat down as he marched to the horses. "It would be best if you returned to the castle." He seized the reins of the charcoal and chestnut steed that belonged to Jules. "With all we know, you and I should remain apart. No more meetings in basements or forest clearings."

She agreed, and as he heaved her onto the saddle, she winced, recalling another issue. "I think Adelaide is looking for you, by the way. I asked her to deliver a message to you—"

If she hadn't already settled atop the horse, Antoine would have dropped her. "Why? When?"

She chewed her lip, averting her gaze. "Earlier. Before I arrived, I searched for you on the Royal Floor."

He released an annoyed sigh and covered his eyes. "They let you up?"

"The guards? Yes. They recognized me." She dared a glance at him. "I am sorry, I was not thinking."

"Indeed." With his free hand, he patted the horse's backside, prompting it to take off. "I will handle this. Get inside before the temperatures drop to freezing."

She inhaled the crisp evening air as the beast hopped over roots and piles of leaves. They passed through a wetter section of the woods, full of echoing howls and muffled chirps and muddy odors that made her nose itch.

What felt like hours later, she broke through the last branches.

The castle's canary side facade glowed gold under the torches lining the path to the gardens. As soon as she rounded the corner, she found nobles climbing into carriages, leaving for their comfortable rooms in Torrinni Inns or their temporary residences away from their hometowns. A few others seemed to be arriving, but she couldn't see the insignia on their vehicles. To be safe, she waited at the extremity of the courtyard. Once all vehicles were gone, she hastened to a squire who lingered at the foot of the steps.

He bowed when he noticed her, unable to recognize her as she kept her head tilted down.

"Would you ensure this creature makes it to the stables? It is His Highness Prince Jules'. I found it wandering near the orchards." She cringed at her fib, but knew how Totresian squires liked to talk. They didn't need to spread a rumor of a golden-haired girl debarking at the castle atop Jules' horse.

The boy helped her down, and as she scurried up the stairs, he took off.

The main doors were open, and warmth and voices seeped out to greet her; but she stilled. An ominous sensation thrummed to life in her belly. Something unfamiliar. It unsettled her, rattling her. As if a new presence had appeared at Torrinni Castle, and its stench dribbled out into the courtyard, wrapping around her like a deadly snake.