22: TWIST

Two people exited the classroom and the large door slid shut behind them

Two people exited the classroom and the large door slid shut behind them. Izuku habitually glanced up at his teacher as the two automatically fell into step, making their way across the school. A blast of hot air hit them as they stepped outside, reminding them of the summer not yet passed. It was dusk, but lamps illuminated their path as they made the silent trek towards the dorms for the night. Aizawa may have been totally comfortable with dead silence, but Izuku was known for his incessant rambling – annoying his teacher-slash-partner-slash-father-slash-brother was, of course, a bonus of breaking the peace.

"Hey, Aizawa-sensei," he said as they entered the large building.

The man visibly wilted, gazing towards the ceiling as if it had personally offended him. "What."

"How does your hair float when you use your Quirk? Is it some type of close-range levitation? Did your parents have something similar that amalgamated into Erasure? It's odd – aside from your capture gear and your hair, the levitation doesn't affect anything else. If you trained more, would you be able to make yourself float, like Ochako-chan's Quirk? Or is it at its limit? My mum has an attraction Quirk, but she can only pull small objects to her within range, and I don't think it will get any stronger with training. Did your hair always float, or did that come with time? Why don't you tie your hair back while you fight – surely, it would be better to help conceal your Quirk as well as widen your field of vision? Do-"

"Okay, we're here, now shut up and leave me alone," Aizawa grumbled, gently shoving the kid towards the 1-A dorms.

"Sensei," he whined, only a little exaggeratedly. "These are important questions! What if you're not using your Quirk to its full potential? Does your hair have a weight limit it can hold before it doesn't float anymore? Can I test it out?"

"No, go to bed." The man turned, adamantly sticking to his guns as he started to walk away.

"Please, let me test it out! Sensei, don't go! What can I say to get you to change your mind?" Izuku started to bounce after his teacher, head tilted thoughtfully. "I can buy you cat-related things. Or, I could buy you an entire cat. Wait, can we get a class mascot? That would be cool. Oh, what about a new sleeping bag? If I beat you in a fight, will you let me test out your Quirk?"

"I'm not going outside just to entertain you, kid," he deadpanned, keeping his tired eyes forward.

"We'll stay inside, then! No using Quirks to keep it safe. We'd just have to be careful – and that's good practise, because sometimes heroes need to be cautious if people or dangerous things are in close range!" He enthused, nudging at his teacher with a playful shoulder.

Aizawa peered down imperiously. "We're not sparring inside just so you can touch my hair."

Izuku narrowed his eyes, then jabbed his fingers into the man's side, causing him to flinch automatically and barely choke back a squeaked noise of surprise. He froze in his footsteps, something dark and turbulent stirring within his black gaze, bearing terrifying promises of imminent death. The kid merely grinned deviously, jumping back to avoid the arms that swept out to catch him, reaching out to retaliate before turning and running when he realised the gravity of the situation as Aizawa practically snarled.