Chapter Ten: Vigilante

There had been a plan. A really simple, straight-forward, 'nearly impossible to mess up' plan. He was going to just stay at Preston's place for a few weeks until they would fly together to his place for the Canada trip (which was in two days). He would take just a small break as Blue Rose, catch up on actually getting a few nights of good sleep, and everything would be fine and dandy. Unfortunately for him, his luck wasn't exactly in his favor.

It was like someone had flipped a switch. The first few weeks, Preston had been acting normal around him (with the exception of the weird twitches), the two of them had been acting completely normal around each other, but then something just changed. A few nights they were hanging out together and it was normal, and the next morning, Preston was acting... strange around him. He wasn't sure what bothered him more, the fact that Preston was bothered about something in the first place, or that Preston was obviously trying his hardest to act like there wasn't anything wrong... and Rob couldn't imagine what might've been wrong.

It was all downhill from there.

A few nights after that had started happening, Rob had been awake in the living room watching television (it was a few hours past midnight, Preston had gone to bed early on the claims that he wasn't feeling well, even though he hadn't complained at all that day) when he flipped to a local news station, which instantly caught his attention. They were covering what seemed to be a group of criminals that had been robbing a string of banks across the city, and still remained at large.

You are not going to get involved... You can't get involved. He told himself, even though he had turned off the TV and walked into his room, pulling out his suitcase from under the bed and digging to the bottom.

Preston might find me out. I really shouldn't do this. He told himself, even though he was pulling his thick black trench coat out, his long blue scarf tumbling out as it unfurled.

But... I really can't just sit here, can I? He told himself, placing his white mask on his face, slipping a glove on his left hand.

Someone has to do something.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Atop of one of the many tall buildings towering over the city, Blue Rose sat perched on its edge, looking out at the late city lights as his scarf and his coat fluttered lightly in the breeze.

Rob had looked up the banks that had been hit so far, and by the looks of it, they were following a certain pattern, and if he was correct, he knew where they would strike next.

Sighing, he stood up from his perch and stretched, before rolling up his right sleeve, the green-brown veins exposed as the vine wrapped around his wrist unfurled. The vine started to grow into a sizable length, and continued until he willed the last few feet to tie themselves into something akin to a lasso, leaving him with a lengthy, rope-like vine growing from his wrist.

Humming with satisfaction, Rob reached into his trench coat and pulled out a long hunting knife, about eight inches in length with a deadly sharp edge. He flipped it around it in hands as it glinted in the light. He carried the knife with him for two simple reasons. Firstly was that outside of the plant in his wrist, there were several situations where Rob couldn't utilize his control over plant-life, mostly in buildings that rose up far enough from the ground, or simply when there weren't any plants around. It didn't help to have a contingency plan, and he felt confident enough with it to hold his own with the help of his powers. And secondly...

Rob took a couple of steps away from the ledge, towards the center of the roof. His eyes glowing a magnificent green, he eyed another building directly across from his, and began to wrap his 'rope' around his arm as he focused.