9. embarrassing moments & frustrations

❝Constantly, boy you play through my mind like a symphony

- Selena Gomez, Love You Like A Love Song.

My eyes stayed focused on the customer in front of me who tried to keep check on her little girl.

"So, mini cheesecakes?" I asked her.

"Yes, what flavors do you offer?" She pushed her hair away from her face.

"Uh, the top selling flavor we have is the vanilla bean and you could have some whipped cream on it," I smiled at her.

"That sounds good. I'll have that."

I opened my mouth to say something but someone had just walked through the door of the bakery.

The feeling returned. My heart was beating fast again and I felt restless.

"Hello? Are you okay?" I heard the woman ask and I swallowed, my throat suddenly dry, "Y- Yeah. Two mini cheesecakes, right?" I tried to take my mind off the guy who had already taken a seat and taken out something that looked like a sketchpad.

"Yes, please," the woman nodded and I nodded as well before grabbing two cheesecakes carefully, putting it in the Layers brown bag, handing it to her.

"Thanks," she smiled, taking it from me.

I expected the mystery cute guy to come over to the counter to request something but I honestly couldn't believe my luck and I immediately remembered what Kaleb had said. I smiled to myself, but it faltered before I made my way to Sky who had just attended to a customer.

"Hey Renée, what's up?" She grinned.

"Everything's going great, except, uh, this guy came in and hasn't come to get something. Does that mean I have to go meet him?"

"Actually, we'll be seeing more of him these days. He's here to take in the scenery of the bakery and the bakery itself for quite a number of things we want to use for our advertising medium..."

Oh wow.

"... but of course, you could ask if he'd like to get anything. You just might have to take it to him because he deserves special treatment," she chuckled. "He's doing a big job for the bakery and he's only 17."

It honestly was huge, and for a 17- year old. I wondered what school he attended. The desire to know everything about him burned deep inside me. I gulped. Was I ready to do this, though? I didn't want to embarrass myself talking to him.

'Just be cool. Be cool. Be yourself.'

I let out a breath and confidently made my way to him, falling in step right in front of where he sat and when he raised his head to look at me, I felt like a tiny, disappearing person. My mouth wouldn't open and my eyes wouldn't leave his.

He blinked, "Hey? Are you alright?"

I snapped out of my gaze, licking my lower lip as I nodded quickly, "Yes... I— I was just going to ask if you would like to get anything. Welcome to Layers," I rushed.

"No, I'm okay, thanks," he nodded before his gaze diverted to his sketchpad and I turned to walk away, my heart still beating but not as much.

I hadn't taken two steps when I tripped over my foot.

My own foot.

How did that happen?

I immediately looked back at the guy who was looking at me, and he slowly looked back to continue what he was doing.