The Beach Clean

You wouldn't expect people to go to the beach and tidy it. Not today my friends. You see this is reality the beaches are littered with junk. How many times have you walked past a piece of rubbish and have not picked it up? This brings me to my story.

I woke up excited for 9:00 this morning to go to the beach. You see I'm not normal. At school everyone makes fun of me because I have different interests. You see everyone wants to be an actor or a dancer or a hairdresser, but no I love exploring this planet and what it has to offer. I normally go to the beach to take photographs and admire its beauty, but today at 9:00 I will be going to the beach to clean it. I don't know how much we will find or what we will find. I am the only one in my class to actually like the beach. I always talk about the conservation of wildlife and the causes of plastic and global warming. My geography teacher thinks its amazing that I know who Steve Irwin is and that I watch David Attenborough documentaries. Anyways, my mum is taking me in the car now even though we only live a mile away and I could have walked.

We're here. I look round to see mostly adults, I am the only child. My mum couldn't stay so I got partnered up with these to lovely women. They told me they came every year and what they find is shocking. I am expecting to find mostly plastic straws and plastic spoons that you eat ice cream with. We had set off. We got to know each other. they asked me questions like where to live?, how old are you? and what are your interests?

Well the question 'what are your interests' was a good question. You see ever since I have been in year 5 I have been interested in marine biology (the study of  marine life, not to be confused with oceanography - the study of the ocean.) Before I was interested in that I loved animals and then I learnt that the marine life was being threatened with plastic pollution. I have watched all of Blue Planet and Blue Planet 2 so much I practically know all the words. I also love this youtuber called Jonathan Bird. He travels the world making educational videos explaining about the creatures he is videoing and fills you in with all the facts you may not already know about that particular creature. 

First we went behind the lifeboat huts. We found a variety of plastics, a couple of beer cans and a bit of carpet. Just behind the lifeboat huts the amount of rubbish filled a quarter of my bin bag. After that we walked up the beach collecting every bit of rubbish we found we filled my bin bag and half of the other two bin bags (so technically we filled 2 bags if you put the two halves together.) We started to make our way back down the beach picking up anything we missed, which wasn't a lot.

) We started to make our way back down the beach picking up anything we missed, which wasn't a lot