Chapter 16: Breaking Mirrors (Part 1/2)

Here's a happy holidays gift for you all~ and some holiday music tacked on (because I don't hear enough droning remakes of 'Last Christmas I Gave you my Heart' working retail)

   —————   

          It had been well over a week since Jeremiah left, and Káel was wondering if he'd been eaten on his way to delivering his letter to Staz. School was bad, as usual. Everyone would play a cruel game of tug of war with him when they were asked to group up for games, and his friends were still acting weird. He even caught Talli trying to feel the spaces around him for something, but when he questioned her actions she broke into incoherent stutters.

          On the bright side, Puff could stay in the air for about ten seconds before falling to the ground, which was a sad amount of progress, but it was the only celebratory thing Káel could think of. Since his progress in using lumience without the help of Puff or Phantom, was still verging on hopelessness.

          Mr. Mudelin's class had now gone from going over the basics, to full blown attacks and defensive counters. Since Káel didn't feel like accidentally killing one of his classmates with the unpredictability of his spells, he'd been using Phantom to assist him for the past week, by holding the rock while it was concealed in his pocket. Unfortunately, Phantom seemed to have high standards he couldn't lower no matter how hard he tried, and Káel was coming across as some sort of lumience prodigy that could ace whatever was thrown at him.

          Being the exact opposite of this, Káel could feel his insecurities bubbling, hoping to race out returning home before he was caught cheating. 

          Or worse, before they caught Phantom. 

          It was the fifth day of their eight day weeks called cycles, and there was an out of place presence in Mr. Mudelin's room. Mrs. Vienta was typically the one to bring in helpers, but today was the first time they had seen any in Mr. Mudelin's room, and they weren't just senior grades.

          Horus was standing beside the female Silver House leader with an elite on either side of them, causing a chatter amongst the students on what exactly the two house leaders were there for.

          As soon as Mr. Mudelin walked into the room, the chatter died to dead silence. He looked around at the students, satisfied with his work as he gave off his usual forced half smile.

          "We'll be utilizing the defensive tactics I previously taught you, only today they'll be against real intermediate attacks. Since I don't want to deal with extra paperwork they will be attacking you," he said, motioning to the house leaders and elites. "You should all know at least one of them. If not, you'll have to work on your attention skills. For the sake of formality however, I'll introduce these exemplary students, and despite how much you adore them I don't want to hear any cat calls, clapping, or cheering in general when I state their names. If however, they do something applause worthy during this class, you may cheer."

          "Uptight as ever," Leon muttered, leaning against the wall beside Káel. "Don't see the point of bringing in fancy elites and stuff, they're just as likely to kill us."

          Mr. Mudelin motioned to the silver uniformed student, her face flooded with warmth as she quickly fixed her braided bun. "This is Eris Vellion, leader of the Silver Sector, beside her is Horus Floyd, leader of the Purple Sector, and also a highly ranked Breaker. Our elites are Sa'kra Dalizar and Wysteria Limbral, and they are all your seniors so I expect you all to give them your full respect. Anyone who thinks otherwise can answer to me."