Chapter 18: The Torture of Cosmetics (Part 3/3)

Warning:

The next chapter might take a little longer to get together! I'm doing a pesky POV shift, and shortening a beast of a 4 part chapter.

In the meantime, enjoy! I know some of you absolutely ADORE Vera, so have a blast following her thought process.

(Spoiler alert, she will NOT be mauled by Molves, as they follow a strict code of conduct regarding the Health and Safety of their students)

           Skat.

          Vera froze at the doorway, registering the chalked circles before the dim lighting could even disturb her. She was expecting a ghost, or maybe even a secret hobby Káel was using the room for.

            Her lip twitched in a mix of fear and relent.

           This technically was a hobby.

          She paced herself, slowly closing her mouth when she realised it had been hanging and eyeing Káel with a shaking calm. "So... was this here when you...?" She stopped when Káel shook his head, a spike of irritation flaring from his grin. "Okay. So you-"

          Káel didn't even let her finish. "Yup."

          Vera's eye involuntarily twitched at the hint of power peppering Káel's tone, prompting her to bring her own set of false confidence to the skit. With a wicked grin she walked up to the circles of chalk, pretending to admire their details. "So..." she started, her smile growing ever so slightly as she still caught a lick of worry plaguing Káel. "What was it that you needed help with?"

          Káel sucked in a deep breath, flicking his gaze to the side yet again. "Alright, this is don't freak out part two."

          Vera nodded, watching him draw a shining metal rectangle from his pocket. 

          As if anything in this sad school could make her freak out.

          Káel fiddled with the piece of metal, brushing up against her shoulder to give her a view of his strange contraption. Like a window, it showed the floor, Vera narrowing her eyes to pick apart whatever enchantment he'd placed on the object. 

          "So this is a camera," Káel said, raising it to the wall as Vera craned her head behind it to stare at its black back. "It can capture moments of time by remembering lightwaves."

          "Uhuh..." Vera muttered, Káel's gibberish leaking through her ears while she fixed her gaze on the screen. Settling on it being some sort of useless glass view enchantment.

          Until he twisted the strange object to his left, and her heart stilled.

          Someone was standing there.

          Her breath hitched in her throat as she took a step back, completely ignoring Káel's escalating fear as she scanned the creature in the frame of his metal box. "What is that thing?"

          A cold chill stole the blood from her face as the crimson clad man folded his arms.

          Could he hear her?

          Káel watched her with dish eyes, firmly clutching his phone as he barely squeaked out his words. "Please don't freak out."

          "I'm not freaking out!" Vera snapped, a swell of pride drowning her fear as she tightly tucked her hands under her armpits, the lingering fear still squeezing at her shoulders as she couldn't tear her gaze from the man. "So is that... person, thing, whatever in that box? Or...?"