Welcome Home

I sat patiently on Rosalie's bed. I skimmed through her old photos of us and newer ones of her and Emmet, her sometimes husband. I missed them both dearly. I perked up as I heard cars pulling up the long driveway. I had managed to find some clothes in Alice's closet and it made me realize how small she was, as the skirt was a bit shorter than I was used to. I fiddled with the fabric as Esme opened the door downstairs. I listened as several footsteps entered the house.

I laughed loudly as Rosalie flew up the stairs. I tackled her in a hug as she spun me around. Her hair was blonde again. Natural, long, curled. As if her natural beauty combined with her solid, breathtaking features weren't enough - she had delicate makeup on. I could hardly contain my joy at seeing my 'sister'. Not by blood, of course, but in every other aspect.

Rosalie and I shared many similarities. Besides our striking features and irresistible essence, we had both come into this world one way or another without choosing to. We lost our chance at normal, human lives and because of that I think it solidified the bond we shared.

I was so caught up in the joy from seeing her again I hadn't noticed the hushed voices downstairs. I hugged her again and she laughed. A real laugh.

"Marcey, I've missed you," she said genuinely.

"I've been gone awhile," I admitted.

"Do you want to go see the others?" Her question was innocent enough, but it held something more behind her words.

She led the way down the stairs and I smiled brightly as I saw the rest of my family. At least, most of them. Carlisle was standing with Esme. He looked tense. Emmett pulled me into a big hug before I could question it anymore.

"Marce!" He boomed loudly, "You're home little one!" He laughed.

I watched as Alice bounded up to me and wrapped me in a hug. It was easy to forget how strong the small girl was. She was smiling at my outfit amd I knew she would drag me for new clothes if I let her. I waved at Jasper from across the room. The last time I had seen him, he had just joined their family, and Alice had asked for me to refrain from interracting with him in hopes of helping him adapt better to their way of life. He smiled and walked across the room, pulling me into a big hug.

"Marceline," he said in his southern drawl, "It's been a long time."

"You look great!" I said encouragingly. Even if I chose not to follow their lifestyle I still supported their choice to. I meant it, too. His eyes were a warm topaz color and he seemed much more at ease since the last time I saw him.

"Edward is, uh," Carlisle started but I stopped him.

"I didn't ask about Edward," I said sternly.

"Marceline I think it's best if you-" he tried again.

"No. Nothing about him is best for me," I hissed, "I came for my family."

I wouldn't continue that conversation any longer. I smiled at my siblings. I could hear the storm blowing in from the coast. I raised an eyebrow at Alice and she hopped excitedly around us.

"It's perfect," she squealed when she caught on to what I was thinking.

"Who's up for an old school game of catch?" I smirked as Emmett and Jasper ran off arguing over who got to bat first.

"Welcome home, Marceline," Carlisle kissed the top of my head as he went to catch up with the boys.
______________________________________

We waited until the sky darkened above us and the thunder clapped dramatically overhead. We decided on girls vs boys, with Esme keeping us all in check of course. I lined up in center field as Alice pitched just to the left of Emmetts powerful swing.

"You really gonna leave me bored out here all night?" Rosalie called out to her mate and I watched him smirk before his bat collided with the ball.

I was off the field in a second. I flew through the trees after the ball as he took first, second, and eventually third before I socked the ball back into Rosalies waiting hands.

"Little sis lost her touch," I heard Jasper tease as he lined up for Alice's pitch.

We spent the next hour back and forth. The girls ended up taking home and Esme had to break up Carlisle and Rosalies argument over whether it was really fair that we had Alice. Rose stuck her tongue out as Esme laughed at her husbands pouting stance. There was a chorus of 'ewww' and other childish remarks as the two embraced each other with a kiss.

I couldn't help but smile as I turned away. They were made for each other, in quite a literal sense. It was love. He had been able to give her everything she wanted. I walked up to my adoptive parents as the others mocked each other over the game. They smiled at me as I held my arms out. Carlisle pulled me into a hug between the two of them and Esme smoothed my hair back.

"We really are glad you're home," he sighed.

"I'm glad to be home," I answered honestly.

The others ran ahead back to the house arguing over who deserved the showers first. We weren't the most normal family in Forks, or anywhere really, but to me these were the people I had grown with. I hadn't always been around, but the others had taken their fair share of breaks. Rosalie and Emmett had a honeymoon every few years or so.

I knew I was making excuses. At the end of the day, they always came back together. A family. A clan. A home. I left because I couldn't handle him. I left because of my new family. I left because I hated who I was; I hated what I was. I tried to shake the thoughts from my head and ran my hands over my face.

I should talk to him, I thought to myself.

The very idea of that made me shiver. I would find the time tomorrow. Maybe. I couldn't avoid him forever (even if I desperately wanted to) and if I was going to be here then I needed to find a way to manage.