09

Aubrey Valentina

After Anderson stopped his yelling and hitting he gave me some money to do the grocery shopping. I layer up with two sweaters and walk to the store. I've never learned to drive so it was my only choice.

I got everything on the list. He has this weird obsession with giving me lists that I have to follow exactly.

I finish at the register and hold all the bags. I was lost in my own thoughts and barely realized that I walked into someone.

"I'm so sorry, I wasn't paying attention," I say to the woman in her maybe her mid 30s.

"Don't worry dear," she says before helping me with the fallen bags.

I finally look upwards and her jaw drops. "Valentina?"

I laugh shyly. "No. For a second I thought you would call me Isabella."

"Why would you think that," she questions.

"Because I've been called that so many times since I've moved here. Well I best be going."

She nods. "What's your name?"

"Aubrey Simpson," I answer.

"I'm Lau- I mean Gabriella Cartwright, I'll see you around Aubrey."

"Hey mom. I got the bread," the boy says as I walk past Gabriella.

I turn around and see a little boy who looks like Antonio with a bag in his hand. So that's his mom. She's so nice and he's so blah.

"What's Venice doing here mom?" He says in a slight Italian accent.

I continue to walk through the supermarket.

I realized that I haven't learned a lot about Antonio, not that I'm complaining. Antonio Cartwright, I was expecting an Italian last name, something like Rossi. All I really know is that he's an arrogant senior with a twin sister, and his best friend is Tyler.

I finally get out of the store and walk a mile back home as the sun sets.

• • •

"Hey Aubrey, wait up," Ty yells out from his car the next morning.

I told him I wouldn't need any rides from him, I thought he would understand.

"I don't need a ride Tyler," I say, walking faster.

"I'm already here so hop in."

I know he isn't going to stop so I shrug my shoulders and head into his car.

"Thanks Ty," I say.

His cheeks flush the slightest color red at the nickname. "I can call you that right?" I ask.

He nods. "Yea. I like it."

We sit in the car with comfortable silence until I turn on the radio.

Nobody said it was easy,

It's such a shame for us to part.

Nobody said it was easy,

No one ever said it would be this hard.

Oh take me back to the start.

I sing along to the song. It reminds me that nothing is ever going to be easy and how I want to meet my family, the start.

Before I know it I find my self tearing up.

"You are a beautiful singer," Tyler says, "Why are you crying?"

I wipe my cheek. For some reason I decide to tell him a little about me. I can see it in his eyes, he has made assumptions about me, especially after just seeing Barbara and Anderson yesterday.

"It's just hard living with Anderson and Barbara. It's just a lot to take in sometimes and this song makes me think what my life could've been." I start.

"Are they your parents?" He asks.

Technically, no.

"Um well it's complicated. I wouldn't consider them family," I say.

Our conversation is cut short when we pull into the school.

"See you around Ty," I say, then start walking to English.

I think I'm actually starting to like him. But I don't think I could tell him everything.

Not yet.

I walked through the halls aimlessly and ran into a girl and we both fell to the ground.

"I'm sorry," we both say.

I look up and see a girl with an almost identical face to mine.

"Who are you?" She asks, shocked.

"I'm Aubrey. Who are you?"

"Ven- um I'm Kacy ."

Kacy?

"Kacy? As in Antonio's sister?"

"Um yea."

What the hell?

"You must be the new girl," she speaks up.

I nod my head. "I am. It was nice meeting you but I have to go now."

That was too weird for my liking.

————