second december

It's December and there's a power outage

It's December and there's a power outage. There's this huge snowstorm and of course some power line has to break and it's freezing and Eloise doesn't have electricity at her place either, and anyway there's no way I'm driving in these conditions.

And I hate not having power. You seriously underestimate absolutely everything that well, needs it. Supernatural should have prepared me better for this kind of scenario.

Holt on the other hand is not freaking out at all. He's started lighting all the candles he can find in our apartment. I have... a lot.

Our apartment is filled with candles, not because I buy them but because Eloise buys them compulsively. She's on a first name basis with all the employees at Bath and Body Works. She always drops at my place with bags filled with candles she thought I might like the scent. She's a compulsive buyer, my sister.

"You're going to set fire to the apartment if you keep this up," I tell Holt, wrapped in a blanket on the couch.

"Nah, it'll be fine. Wait. We have insurances, right?"

"You ask that now?" I whine and wrap myself even more tightly. I'm being a dramatic queen. The apartment is still warm-ish. I'm just anticipating the cold to set in. Maybe power will never come back and this is the end of the world and I'll have to sacrifice myself dramatically to save Holt for some reason and whisper my undying love to him in my last breath.

"How are we even supposed to wake up? My phone is almost dead, and my alarm clock is definitely not working. If the power doesn't come back by the time I have to go to bed, I'll never wake up for my class tomorrow."

"Don't worry classes are definitely cancelled and anyway if the power doesn't come back you won't sleep well, so you won't be oversleeping."

"Now, why can't I sleep? It's the only way this will pass any faster," I whine, once again. I must be quite the sight, with the blanket tightly wrapped around my head, like E.T. in the bike basket.

"You'll sleep but not well, not comfortably. Being cold is uncomfortable," Holt adds.

I try not to read into what he's saying. So I just answer, "No shit. Ugh, I hate this."

"We should do what I did when I was younger with my brothers when my parents wouldn't pay for our electricity bill and we would get cut."

Well, no need to read into anything now. This has happened to him often. This is why he's so cool about this. I still haven't gotten any kind of details when it comes to his family, but from the very little he's said, it couldn't have been good, growing up wherever he did.

I would want to be able to give Holt a better life than he had. He's had it so rough, yet he still has the enthusiasm of a puppy.

But all I can give him is distractions. So I say, "Play soggy bread?"