2. Chapter 1

(Name) stood frowning at the large circus tent before her. "Can't believe I paid fifteen quid just to get in here— or whatever the heck they call the money here, bloody hell." She pushed past the draping curtains and squeezed her way through the bustling audience to an open view of a cage in the middle of the tent. The bars stood tall and threatening. "What in Merlin's name are they doing to these poor creatures?" (Name) mumbled to herself. The performance introducer, who had obnoxiously made it known that his name was 'Skender,' stood next to the cage, holding the ropes to the curtains concealing what was inside the cage.

"Next in our little show of freaks and oddities," Skender bellowed. "I present to you— a Maledictus!" He hoisted apart the cloth, revealing a woman dressed in sparkling clothing. Men around (Name) whistled in approval at the woman's provocative apparel and beautiful features. (Name) cringed in disgust at the men's lewd behaviour and lack of restraint. "Once trapped in the jungles of Indonesia, she is the carrier of a blood curse." The crowd gasped. (Name) looked at the Maledictus with concern in her eyes. The woman had something on her mind, that much (Name) knew, and it wasn't about the performance she was in.

Sensing eyes on her, the Maledictus's gaze pierced (Name)'s, pain written clearly in her eyes. (Name) mouthed something: "I can help you." The woman stood still, raising a sculpted brow. However, their exchange ceased as Skender rapped his cane against the bars. The Maledictus's eyes flicked between Skender, (Name), and somewhere offstage, before melting into a heap of slithering scales. She rose her serpentine head from amidst the coils, and struck Skender through the bars. The tent erupted into utter chaos: fire blossomed from the spit from Firedrakes, people screamed as they tried toescape, Skender dropped to the ground petrified.

The Maledictus turned her head to (Name), and she slowly shrunk back into her human form. Credence rushed to her side. (Name) cocked her head in surprise. "You're—how—"

"You said you'd help me?" The woman interrupted. (Name) shook herself out of her stupor and nodded.

"Yes. Follow me. There's a safe house in the area— well, it's my safe house, but I can help you find your home. Come."

~~~

"My name is Nagini. This is Credence." The Maledictus said, greatfully accepting the cup of tea offered to her. (Name) poured an additional two cups, one for herself, and another for Credence, before settling on an armchair next to her couch.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Nagini; however, I'm already acquainted with Credence." Nagini raised a brow as she sipped her drink.

"New York." Credence said sharply, eyes gazing at a photograph that rested on the bookshelf near him; it was one of (Name) and Newt the day he was expelled from Hogwarts. Despite the circumstances, they are both grinning, arms linked together.

"Wait, you are (Name)?" (Name) smiles in affirmation. "Credence said that they cleaned the city. How do you still—"

"The potion only cleared the memories that made the bearer unhappy. Contrary to what had happened, I still remember everything. Well, mostly everything. A friend of mine told me that you," (Name) looked to Credence, "had died." Credence looked over to (Name), something unreadable glossed over his eyes. "Forgive me for being a little taken aback when I first saw you, but I think you can understand why I was shocked." Credence nodded slightly, eyes drifting down to the floor. "Credence, I still want to help you. I wanted to help you then, and I want to help you now. I promised I'd help Nagini find her home, and I will help you find yours," (Name) sat on the edge of her seat, gently placing her hands on the knees of both of her guests. "I couldn't protect you the night Graves hurt you, but I can now— you deserve to be loved." Credence shivered, the words shaking him to his core.

Nagini took (Name)'s hand in hers, squeezing them gently. "Thank you, (Name). It's just— how will you help us?" (Name) paused, looking into Nagini's eyes.

"I can get you a ticket to sail off of the port. It might take a while but—"

"No." Credence stood abruptly, (Name)'s hand falling off of his knee. "I need to know who I am." (Name) and Nagini blinked at him.

"Credence," (Name) muttered, "you're you. You don't need to search for anything." Credence huffed.

"I need to know my history, (Name). I need to know who I am." The air grew tight, and Nagini stood from her place on the sofa, bringing a hand to Credence's chest. They looked at each other in the eyes, and Credence settled, his breathing becoming normal.

(Name)'s eyes twinkled. She understood. Too well.

"Alright." (Name) reasoned. "I don't know how much of a help I can be in that department, but I might be able to point you in the right direction." Credence glanced at (Name), his eyes wide. "There's a maids' home nearby. From what I understand, and what I've seen from your legal papers I've looked at, the person you'll want to look for is in there." Credence and Nagini exchanged glances. (Name) scribbled the address on a piece of notepad paper, along with a name: Irma Dugard. She handed it to Credence. "If that's not who you are looking for, I can always consult the archives at the Ministry for you. Might be a little difficult to get in, but I have my ways." (Name) smiled cheekily.

"Thank you, (Name). I— you—" Credence stuttered.

"Don't worry about it. Let me know what you find." (Name) smiled at them kindly.

Nagini outstretched her hand and intertwined it with (Name)'s. "Thank you," Nagini hummed, pulling away from (Name). (Name) smiled gently, looking down bashfully. Her smile faded upon noticing their attire. She bustled off to the back of her home, leaving the couple in confusion alone in her living room momentarily, before coming back with a pair of oversized coats.

"I can't leave you wearing those in the middle of Paris— it's far to cold." (Name) handed them each a coat, kindly patting it down into their hands. "I expect you to return these to me," she said, winking. Credence's lip quirked upward a touch.

~~~

"Newt's in Paris?" (Name) shrieked, reading the letter sent by Albus. "I thought he was banned from international travel... Whatever, what else does this say?" She continued reading:

'Newt should be arriving sometime within the next few days. Please, try to reacquaint yourself with him relatively soon. As much as I love Fawkes, he needs a more homely environment, preferably the case; he is not mine to keep— he seems to miss his mummy.'

(Name) snorted.

'Travers came to visit me during one of my classes recently. Along with a few names you might recall: Leta and Theseus. I wasn't able to speak with Theseus very long, but I did tell him you were in Paris. And Leta, she seems rather at war with herself right now, so if you happen across her any time soon, wish her your best. For me, please.

Take care of yourself, (Name). Be careful of who is coming.
And don't burn yourself on any more cups of tea.

Albus.'

(Name) let the letter loosely hang from her fingers as she sat back. It seemed like everyone was in Paris. Given that Credence was in the city, however, it wouldn't be surprising if he was the reason.

But Dumbledore's warning; 'be careful of who is coming.' That left an uneasy feeling in the pit of (Name)'s stomach. Who is this 'who?' What are they going to do? Why does the professor always have to be so cryptic?

"Alright. Time to find Newt."

~~~~~~
Kay so I am shaken— as opposed to stirred.

I am legitimately so surprised at the fact that the phoenix would actually come up. Thanks Joanne, you really got me there. Ha ha *nervous laughter of a fanfic author who accidentally made an accurate prediction* *oops*
I have an idea for how I want that to pan out (sort of, not really), so hopefully I can have that fixed???

Anyways, there's chapter one! I hope it's decent???? I dunno bear with me please~

Questions, comments, concerns?
....
Yep.

Anywhoozle, I will see you in the next chapter!
Byeeeeeee
xx