Chapter Nineteen: Let's Take a Walk

“Melanie, wake up. We’re here,” Garret whispered on my ear.

            “I am awake,” I said sleepily and yawned. I opened my eyes and leaned away from Garret’s back. I blushed when I noticed my drool on Garret’s back. “I—uh, drooled on your back.”

            “Yeah, I felt that,” he said, chuckling.

            I smiled sheepishly and hopped out of Garret’s motorbike. I took off the helmet and gave it back to him. He, then, placed it inside the motorbike’s compartment as he hopped out of his motorbike. I turned around and narrowed my eyes in confusion as I noticed that I’m not in Flynn and Xayranne’s place.

            The house—or I should say, mansion—was a two-story. It was made of marble white and really, really looks expensive. It also wasn’t Philip and Fiona’s place. So who owns this house?

            “Uh, where are we?” I asked.

            Garret walked beside me and wrapped his right arm around my waist. “We’re in the King and Queen’s place,” he replied.

            My eyes widened. “What? The King and Queen? Why can’t I just stay with you? Or with Flynn and Xayranne? Hell, place me in your mother’s house if you are desperate! Why the King and Queen?”

            “You’re safe here,” he said, sighing wearily. “You can’t stay with me because that will ruin your—our—reputation. I can’t have a human staying with me in my house. And besides, I’m living with Roxanne, remember? I can’t just barge in and bring you with me. Flynn and Xayranne’s house in under renovation and for the meantime, they’re staying with my parents. It’s a full house there, so I can’t trouble them anymore with you. And I know how you hate my mother and how my mother… uh, dislikes you, too. You two can’t be staying in one house.”

            “But the King and Queen? Don’t you have any friends you can sweet talk to?”

            “I do have, but I don’t trust them enough,” he said, his voice annoyed slightly. “What if they would hurt you? We both know you’re human and they’re vampires. You can’t stay with them because you wouldn’t be safe.”

            I bit my lip. It’s bad enough that Garret brought me here in Springfield so suddenly. The least I could do is just be grateful that I have a place to stay as I think about what happened today.

            “Okay,” I sighed. “But would it be okay with Lillian and Alexander? They wouldn’t mind?”         

            “They’re kind people, Melanie,” he told me softly. “They treat me as their son. And they also love you. They would both lay down their lives for you.”

            I stared at him incredulously. “I think that’s a bit exaggerated, Garret.”

            He rolled his eyes. “Why don’t we just stop talking and go inside so you could sleep.”

            “But, it’s like, six o’clock.”

            “Then let’s go inside to eat.”

            I sighed and the both of us trudged to the front porch. Garret rang the doorbell. Seconds later, a maid with white and blue uniform opened the door. She was pretty, I guess. With brunette hair and forest green eyes, she looks absolutely beautiful. And when she smiled, revealing her fangs, I instantly knew that she’s a vampire. She smiled flirtatiously to Garret. “Good evening, Mr. Stone.”