Chapter Seventeen - Consequence

Kat ran back into the house, past the bodies, blood and gore. She ran into her room, ready to grab some supplies. His scent hit her like a ton of bricks. Kat looked around the room, breath catching in her throat. The bed covers were wrinkled, a dent in the pillow that she used to rest her head on. The scent of Cal everywhere.

He's been sleeping in here.

Kat's heart broke all over again. She pushed the painful memory of their last conversation from her mind. Resolution took over her body as she packed quickly, grabbing a bag of fresh clothes she could tie around her leg, should she need to.

She jumped in the shower, scrubbing the earth that masked her scent from her. They knew she was coming, she needed Cal to know the moment she was there.

She dried her hair quickly and pulled it into a high, tight ponytail.

She looked at herself in the mirror. She looked exhausted, dark shadows underneath wild eyes. She needed a good nights sleep, in her own bed, in Cal's arms. She knew she would not sleep until then. This thought gave her the strength to pull her dress on, grab her stuff and leave the room, and his scent, behind her.

Tate stood waiting at the bottom of the stairs. She saw his eyes take her in, conflicting emotions on his face.

"A dress?" Tate said, handing her a bag of food and medical supplies.

"It's practical to shift in, and dramatic for an entrance." She grumbled.

Tate's eyes widened, "You're going to let them know you're there?"

Kat nodded.

"I need a car."

Tate led her to a huge garage.

"Why haven't I seen this before?" Kat frowned.

"Not much use for it, really." Tate shrugged.

The garage door raised and Kat saw row upon row of shiny cars, tyre tread barely worn.

"Cal prefers to run."

Kat nodded, so did she. But, practically, driving was a better idea for this journey. She pulled a key off a rack and clicked it, a large silver jeep unlocked as Kat walked to it.

She opened the driver's side and threw the backpacks over onto the passenger seat.

"I'll see you soon beta Tate. Please do as I have instructed." She put a hand on his shoulder as he bowed his head.

Then she climbed in and started the engine, driving out of the open garage door. She pushed the pedal to the floor as Tate disappeared in her rear view mirror.

Kat unzipped the food bag, shoving her hand in and pulling out the first thing she touched. She smiled at the plastic wrapped pastry, ripping it open with her teeth.
She was starving, anything would do, but she did love a croissant.

She stared ahead of her as she ate and drove. She wondered what her old pack looked like now. Apart from the trees and surrounding area, obviously, she'd only been there a couple of days ago.
She thought Konan must have rebuilt a new structure. After all, he'd set their house alight, she doubted it was still standing.

Much sooner than she thought, Kat saw the road that branched off into ShadowClaw territory. Unless he'd moved it, she knew this would lead her directly to the heart of the pack.
Kat sucked in a deep breath and took the turn.
She looked, open eyed, at her old home. Little cabins nestled between the trees, smoke curling from the chimneys.

It looks peaceful.

As she drove, people started to come out of their cabins. They watched her car warily. She looked at the road she was on, it was in a state of disrepair, obviously no longer used.