Chapter Eighteen - Confirmation

His kiss warmed her like fire, it pushed away all of her pain. She felt the knots in her back loosen, the aches in her muscles fade. His lips on hers were frantic. He was a dying man and she was giving him her life force.

He pulled away from her, strength shining in the green eye that wasn't swollen closed, the gold like embers, as they turned towards the approaching wolves.

The first foolishly went for Kat's legs, she drove her fist through its head, killing it instantly. Cal jumped over the top of him, shifting his arms and raking his deadly claws through the necks of two, three, four wolves. 

He moved like water, flowing through the gaps between their enemies, bringing them down with ease. It was like he was dancing. A brutal dance of death. Kat stared, in awe of him, before jumping into the fray herself.

She tried to stay close as she battled, feeling Cal on her back. She saw Konan watching from the sidelines, a smirk on his face. She growled at his cowardice, ripping off the jaw of the wolf she fought. 

She felt Cal shift beside her, his snarl pushing the wolves back, the power radiated from him. Some wolves couldn't help but drop to their knees, easy pickings for her mate. Kat glanced at him, smiling with pride, as he cut down their foes. 

She looked back at Konan, his smile was slipping, there were only 6 wolves left and they were dropping like flies.
She looked right into his eyes as he pressed a switch in his hand. The back door of the house opened and more warriors streamed out. 

Ten, twenty, thirty, Kat lost count.

Kat shifted, snapping with renewed energy at their attackers. She took down four more but they kept coming. They came armed with daggers, the silver sliced at Kat's flesh, the skin burned and blistered.
One wolf captured Kat's leg in his mouth, pulling her down to the floor, three more jumped on top of her. She scratched at them, desperately fighting, desperately trying to breathe.

Come on! I'm dying here! Life or death! 

She closed her eyes focussing on her power, begging her eyes to change. Nothing happened.
There was a growl and she felt it. Cal was injured, gravely. She heard the slump of his body against the gravel. She knew the sound was him, she just knew. 

She heard her brother laugh as she looked frantically through the legs of the wolves, trying to see Cal. 

His green eyes found her first, his red fur, blood soaked. His eyes showed pain and defeat. Kat whined. She felt his heart constrict, each beat more painful than the last. A wolf stood over him, ready to finish him off. 

Cal looked at Kat with shock and confusion as she felt it. A rush of adrenaline, a spike in her heart rate. Her body filled with pain as it stretched and warped, cracked and sealed. She knew what Cal was seeing, she'd seen her father do it, once. She'd seen him do it in an effort to save her life. 

Life and death. Not mine. I'm immortal.

Kat growled as pain ripped through her, more pain than her first shift. More pain than The Circle. She looked at Cal and mashed her teeth together, withstanding it for him. 

He watched as the colour drained from her eyes, replaced with blinding white, a ring of gold around her iris. He watched as her large grey wolf shifted, bigger and bigger. He watched as the fur stained black, colour coming from her skin outwards. He watched her nose elongate, her canines extend even further. 

She raised herself onto her hind legs, exposing a hard leather skinned underbelly. She was double, triple the size of some of these wolves. And she was furious.

Kat tried to control it. The anger, the injustice, but the Moon Goddess was incensed and Kat was her vessel. The Moon shone above her and Kat's fury rippled over the wolves. The wolves who all stood open mouthed, unmoving.