Secrets

"What?!" I jumped out of my seat, blood boiling under my skin.

"Prove it. You don't even have a laptop." Sasuke was really driving me crazy.

"Is that true, Naruto?" The principal folded his arms and lightly turned his chair to face me.

"I mean, yes but no. I don't have a laptop now because I spoilt it while doing the project."

"How convenient." Sasuke chuckled.

"But Naruto, you could always have worked on the project together with Sasuke. But you didn't, did you?" The principal continued to interrogate me.

"No, thats because Sas-"

"Enough, no more excuses. Naruto, I will talk to your teacher regarding this grade. But both of you shouldn't have to resort to physical violence to solve this matter." The principal chided us.

"I wanted to report it to our Teacher but he punched me before I could. I retaliated in my defence." Sasuke just kept throwing bullets at me and to my name. Which were all untrue. Yes, I currently don't have a laptop, neither did I work on the project with Sasuke and I threw the first punch but those were all out of a good reasoning!

"I-"
"Alright, Naruto! Enough! Just apologize to Sasuke and leave my office." Demanded the Principal.

Sasuke finally made eye contact, turning towards me all arrogantly. I wanted to hit him so bad again but staring at his bruise on his face reminded me of why I was here. He waited while I stuttered.. "I-I'm.. s-sorry.." After uttering those words, I hurriedly ran out. I never felt so humiliated in my life. Especially not in front of my rival.

"Naruto!" Both Sakura and Kiba called out, "We heard what had happen and immediately rush over from class." Sakura hugged me, seeing the bruises and cuts on my face made them hurt. "Man, I really want to teach Sasuke Uchiha a lesson." Kiba gritted his teeth, clenching his fist.

"Sakura," I pulled away from her embrace. "Is it true you dated Sasuke?" Sakura became wide eyed.
"Nah, not possible. Sakura don't date douchebags!" Kiba laughed.

".. Sasuke told you?" Her eyes darted to the ground, ashamed. Kiba immediately stopped laughing, both of us just stared at her in silence. Absorbing what we just heard.

So it's true..?
She lied to me..

"I can't believe you lied to me." I walked away from them, hurt again. First Itachi, now my best friend. I just can't trust anyone anymore can I.

"Wait, Naruto!" She and kiba caught up to me, she then grabbed hold of me, halting me in my steps. "I dated him before I met both of you. I didn't mean to lie. I thought I could let the past stay in the past. After we broke up, I changed my phone number. And that's where I left it at. He never spoke to me since, and I doubt he wants to. We never spoke of our history together again. And after you declaring him as your rival, I was even more worried to let you know."

"I'm sorry, Naruto. I never meant to lie to you." Her grip tightened on my arm. I tugged it off me, "He said you were his first love and you broke him. That you made him this way. And now suddenly, he's asking for your phone number."

"Huh?.. He asked you for my number?"

"Yes, that's what I punched him for."

Kiba broke the tension by clapping and cheering, "Well done, Naruto! I would have done the same."
Sakura tried to calm me down, and assured mme that they would never get back together. We decided to skip last period of class to eat and hang out together. More importantly, just to talk to Sakura to hear how was Sasuke like as a boyfriend and how he was like before Sakura inevitably broke his heart.

The way Sakura described him was so different from who he is now. He was warm, kind, considerate and loving. She had a pained expression while talking about him still, as if she still loved him. She stopped eating as she recalled some of her fondest memories together with him. "It's alright, Sakura. You don't have to go on. I understand why you lied and I don't blame you for it. I've been in love before but seeing the pain in your eyes, I can understand why you didn't want to talk about it." I smiled and fed her a french fry.

If love really hurt that bad, why do humans want to fall in it in the first place?

Then and there I made up my mind to play this game but to never fall in love for real. Seeing my best friend almost crying already broke me, I doubt I can stand someone breaking my heart.

"Yeah, love sucks." Kiba mumbled to himself, while chewing on his steak. I looked at Kiba. "You?? Love??? You haven't even been in a relationship!" I cracked up. "Yeah, but I know what it feels like to love someone. Even though I doubt that person knows.."

"Who do you like?" Sakura's curiosity peaked and she leaned forward, hoping Kiba to whisper it into her ears. "Yeah, tell us! We'll make sure she comes running into your arms!" I added on, encouraging my best friend.

"It's alright. To love, is to wish for them to be happy. I'm happy loving that person, even if that means I'm loving them from afar." It's so rare to see Kiba so serious. He must really be head over heels for that girl. Though I am really curious on who my best friend likes and a little insulted that he wouldn't share such a secret with us, I respected his decision.

Love has such a deep place in their hearts. It must really be important to them, for them to not even share it with the closest of friends.

I hope I never fall in love. It sounds scary.
It sounds painful.