Soulmates Part 1

You glanced at your reflection in the mirror, frowning at the jagged scar that had appeared on your forearm the day before.

Your sister told you it was because your soulmate had it. You were a muggle-born, so your parents hadn't known what to make of the scar, but your sister, who was four years older than you, knew what it meant.

"Your soulmate has that scar," she told you, a twinkle in her eyes.

You furrowed your brow. "How did he get it? When will I meet him? What if he's a wizard and I'm always just- just a muggle?!" You began to panic. Your sister laughed and placed her hand reassuringly on your arm.

"Don't worry so much! Muggles don't have soulmates the way we do." She said with a wink.

You let out a sigh of relief. "Do you think he'll be at Hogwarts?"

Your sister glanced at her pile of spell books. A knowing smile came over her face.

"Yes, I do."

~~~~~~

"(Y/N), these are my friends," Leta introduced you to two boys sitting at the Gryffindor table.

"Hello," A red haired boy said through a mouthful of sausage. Shaking your hand, he swallowed. "I'm Arthur, Arthur Weasley."

"(Y/N) (L/N)." You replied with a smile.

The other boy seemed preoccupied; he seemed to have spit out his pumpkin juice all over his essay. He was wearing yellow, you noticed; he was a Hufflepuff like you.

Leta sighed. "Oh, Newt..." she muttered. "Scourgify."

With a wave of her wand, the pumpkin juice vanished from the parchment, leaving only the boy's words behind.

"Thanks, Leta." The boy said quietly. He glanced at you and his face went red.

You furrowed your brow. Was it your scar? You'd worn your summer robes that day, the ones with the short sleeves, and your scar was bare for the world to see.

You'd known Leta throughout the first semester of the first year of your education. She'd never commented on your scar until she'd met the shy Hufflepuff boy and the Weasley you'd just met weeks before. You'd never thought much about it; Leta wasn't totally accepted within her house, so it seemed natural for her to branch out.

The boy clumsily stood up from the table and held out his hand for you to shake. His palm was slightly clammy as you took it, shaking it briskly. He seemed to look anywhere but you, his face beet red under a mop of unruly sandy hair.

"Hello, it's nice to meet you," you greeted with a warm smile.

"Hello, it's nice to meet you as well." He said, shooting a look at Leta, who raised her eyebrows and gave him a look as if to say, Don't be rude!

"My name's Newt," the boy blurted, meeting your eyes briefly before averting his gaze to his shoes.

"(Y/N) (L/N)." You replied, feeling suspicious at the boy's behavior.

"He's Newt Scamander, Theseus' brother," Leta explained. "You know, the one who told off Professor Kettleburn for taking care of the hippogriffs incorrectly?"

"That was you?" You laughed.

Newt shot Leta a look. "Er, yes. I got two weeks of detention for it, actually."

"Well, it was brilliant. She was treating them wrongly. It was nice to see someone stand up to her."

"Thank you." Newt replied softly, giving you a stiff smile and shooting a pleading look at Leta again, as if he wanted her permission to end the conversation.