Chapter Eighteen - Hallucinate

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c h a p t e r e i g h t e e n

{Hallucinate}

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Jayden's POV

We get to Virginia around two in the morning. Luckily, I called the hotel we're staying at, and we can still check-in despite the time.

I pull into the parking lot and look at Skylar, who is asleep. Her face squishes against the leather interior and her hair is a complete mess, but she looks adorable. She has been like this for the past five hours and I've loved every minute; I'm sad I'm about to ruin the moment. I gently shake her awake. Her eyes flutter open and the tiniest smile forms on her lips.

"We're here," I say.

She sits up and pushes her hair from her panic-stricken face. "Oh my gosh, I slept the entire way?" I nod and climb out of the car. I grab our bags from the trunk and she meets me in front. She tries taking her bag from me, but I refuse, motioning for her to walk forward.

We check-in at the front desk and get on an elevator. I only got one room because I was too selfish to separate us. But I got two beds, I didn't want her to feel uncomfortable having to sleep beside me. However, she didn't seem upset when I said we would share a room.

I slide the key-card into the door and motion for her to walk in first. She dramatically plops down onto a bed. "I could go back to sleep."

"Any longer driving and I would've fallen asleep," I say.

"I am so sorry I didn't drive. You should have woken me up."

"It's okay, the drive wasn't bad." She makes a deal with me that she will drive home. I oblige—for now—but that will most likely change. I wouldn't make her drive seven and a half hours home.

She exhales. I watch intently as she walks toward the bathroom. After an inspection, she grabs her duffel bag and rummages through it until she materializes a smaller bag. "I think I'm gonna shower," she says.

I swallow hard and say all right, even though I want nothing more than to join her. She casts a sly smile before cracking the door behind her. I try to distract myself by unpacking, but the minute I hear the shower turn on, I'm fixing myself through my jeans.

It's going to be a long weekend.

I'm almost done unpacking when I hear a loud thud and slew of swear words.

Alarmed, I run to the door and knock. "Sky? Are you okay?"

"Um, I'm good!" She answers, but I can hear the pain in her voice. Just as I'm about to ask what happened, I hear another loud thud that sends me directly through the door. Without looking, I grab a towel and cover her. When she's decent, I find her lying on the floor soaking wet, holding her ankle. I kneel beside her.

"What happened?"

"Slipped like a dumbass, then slipped again because my ankle gave out." She laughs through her pain, clutching the towel that's barely covering her body.

"Can you walk?"

She shrugs, so I pick her up and carry her into the bedroom. She wraps her arm around my neck and I pray that she can't feel my hard-on from earlier as I carefully set her on the bed.

"Do you think you sprained it or broke it?"

She shakes her head. "It will bruise, that's all."

We both look at each other briefly before laughter sounds through the room. Her hands shoot up to cover her face in embarrassment. "Being clumsy is so sexy."