FOUR

Chapter 4

Gemima didn't even wait for the children. She shouted mid-flight, "I'll fly to the nearest taxi-stand and get a taxi since you two don't have wings. You figure out the deal."

The children sat down near the road. There was no sign of anything human around them. Just Doris and Adam. For once they didn't use the time to argue and fight. They understood that to save their families, the deal was more important.

Doris took out the rough paper and began to read. The list was as follows-

A pair of glass shoes

See a goodie house

Have hair as long as Rapunzel

 A castle of my own

Wear a beautiful gown

A Prince Charming

Save the world from the Evil Witch

Save the beast

Make an ugly duckling beautiful

Bring Mom back

Doris made a confused face, "What sort of a deal is this?"

Adam snatched the paper and read aloud, "A pair of glass shoes? A goodie house? Ugly duckling? Is this some sort of joke? Did you write this?"

"No," said Doris defensively. "It's a child's handwriting. Can't you see? You have seen my handwriting before, haven't you? I have a beautiful, clear handwriting unlike you. Besides, I can't even understand half of it."

Adam gave a bitter laugh, "I think its yours. See the date here?" He pointed to the corner of the paper. "This is dated ten years ago, on your...let me see...sixth birthday?"

"No way," Doris muttered. "I couldn't have. I can't say for sure because I don't really remember much from when I was small but I really couldn't have. If I did I would have been able to make sense of these sentences. What is a goodie house and is there something like glass shoes?"

Adam frowned, "You don't know what these things are?"

"You do?" Doris couldn't believe it. Adam knew something she didn't. Her competitive side felt jealous.

"Duh. These are from fairytales. The glass shoes of Cinderella, the goodie house from Hansel and Gretel-"

"Wait, wait a second. Fairytales? I doubt Dad ever told me fairytales. We had a strict no-nonsense policy in our house. I don't even know most of the fairytales. What baffles me is how you do?"

Adam turned red, "Everybody knows fairytales, Doris. I can't help it if you are a robot with no emotions and a strict no-nonsense policy."

"Still, how did you know in the first go?" Doris asked. Did Adam have a thing for fairytales? She always knew there was something weird about him.

Adam ruffled his longish dark hair and looked away, "I read them out to Penelope, my uh-sister, and I help the primary school teachers by reading fairytales to the children. So, I guess, I remain in touch with them."

Doris stared at him. Adam actually read out fairytales to children? It was actually sweet but she was sure he just did it to appear good. Huh! He could fool others by his I'm-so-good image but not her.

"Go on," he mumbled. "You can laugh."

Doris felt her heart melting. He looked so cute with his mouth pouting and eyes looking anywhere but at her. She stopped herself. She wasn't going to fall for his good-guy image. She said coldly, "You're weird but that's nothing new."