II

II - meeting hoseok

a 9-year old y/n walks into the classroom, timidly sitting in the first row. this is the first year seokjin wasn't in the same class as her. the first year she would have to attend class without her best friend by her side. she glances around at all of the kids who walk in, instantly picking up on who is already friends.

she notices a group of 3 girls sitting together, talking and giggling. the one in the middle has a bright pink backpack, expensive no doubt. she looks up at y/n and the looks back at her friends and laughs quietly. just another face in the crowd.

y/n's eyes scan the room again, spotting a boy sitting alone at the opposite end of the first row. she stares at him for a few minutes, hoping to catch his attention, but his eyes are fixated on the clock, time seeming much longer.

as the school bell rings, a few more kids come into the classroom, grouping up with their friends, and taking random seats. the teacher steps to the front of the classroom and clears her throat.

"hello everyone, my name is ms lee. i'll be your teacher for this year! since it is the first day, i don't want to overwhelm you with paperwork and such, so let's take today to introduce ourselves to everyone, and to get our seating arrangements made up!"

y/n can't help but to trail her eyes to the lone boy in her row, who coincidentally has his eyes on her. she smiles softly at him, then turns back to the teacher.

"okay class, when i call your last name, i want you to stand up, tell the class your name, and one interesting fact about yourself. we will also be getting you into your assigned seats while we do this activity! let's start with... jung? do we have a jung in this class?"

the boy at the end of the row stands to his feet, collecting his bag, and moving to where the teacher is pointing. right next to you. he lightly places his bag under the desk and quickly sits.

"jung, please remain standing and introduce yourself."

the boy stands again, keeping his eyes on his hands, which are fidgeting and gripping the desk tightly.

you don't know what comes over you, but you lightly place your hand over one of his, keeping your eyes on the teacher. he looks at you in awe.

"i- uh.. i'm jung hoseok and i love d-dancing.." he looks down, almost ashamed of his response. your head snaps to him, mouth slightly open in shock. he glances over at you, quickly snatching his hand, pulling it to his chest.

the teacher smiles apologetically as some of the class laughs. "settle down. there's nothing wrong with hoseok for liking dance!" this makes the students laugh louder.

you can feel your anger rising. how could these children judge someone so quickly based only upon their hobby?

you grip the edges of your desk, knuckles turning a light shade of yellow, almost white. to your surprise, hoseok places his hand over yours, smiling at you softly, whispering, "i'm okay.. i'm used to that reaction."

you stare at your hands and smile softly. "i'm sorry they're so mean.. i love dance, too! you should dance for me sometime!"

seokjin would be so proud.